1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the 1st derivative of a function, using the expression $f({z}_{0}) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0}}dz$. The 2nd integral on the right in the expression is derived from the original expression, with some slight differences, and it represents the $-f({z}_{0})$ part of the expression.
ognik
Hi - I know the final result for the n'th derivative, I am looking though at getting an expression for the 1st derivative of f(z).

From $ f({z}_{0}) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0}}dz $ we get

$ \frac{f({z}_{0} + \delta {z}_{0}) -{f({z}_{0}}) }{\delta {z}_{0}} =
\frac{1}{2\pi i \delta {z}_{0} } (\oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0} - \delta {z}_{0} } dz - \oint_{c} \frac{f({z}_{0})}{z - {z}_{0}}dz ) $

Where does the 2nd integral on the right come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - I know the final result for the n'th derivative, I am looking though at getting an expression for the 1st derivative of f(z).

From $ f({z}_{0}) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0}}dz $ we get

$ \frac{f({z}_{0} + \delta {z}_{0}) -{f({z}_{0}}) }{\delta {z}_{0}} =
\frac{1}{2\pi i \delta {z}_{0} } (\oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0} - \delta {z}_{0} } dz - \oint_{c} \frac{f({z}_{0})}{z - {z}_{0}}dz ) $

Where does the 2nd integral on the right come from?

I think the 2nd integral on the right should just be a copy of your original expression, right? That is, you should have
$$ \frac{f({z}_{0} + \delta {z}_{0}) -{f({z}_{0}}) }{\delta {z}_{0}} =
\frac{1}{2\pi i \delta {z}_{0} } \left(\oint_{c} \frac{f(z)}{z - {z}_{0} - \delta {z}_{0} } dz - \oint_{c} \frac{f({z})}{z - {z}_{0}}dz \right). $$

It's not quite the same, it has $ f({z}_{o}) $ on top instead of $ f({z}) $ and also the $\delta {z}_{o} $ in the divisor in front.

Saying that told me what I was missing (and also what you were saying), it is of course the $ - f({z}_{o}) $ part of the expression. Thanks Ackbach, got it now.

Related to 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula

1. What is the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula?

The 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula is a mathematical equation that relates the value of a function at a point to the values of the function on a curve surrounding that point. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function.

2. How is the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula derived?

The 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula is derived using the Cauchy Integral theorem, which states that if a function is analytic within a closed curve, then the integral of the function over that curve is equal to the sum of its values at all points within the curve. By differentiating this theorem, we can derive the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula.

3. What is the significance of the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula in mathematics?

The 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula is significant in mathematics because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function at a point, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. This formula also has many important applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula be used for any type of function?

No, the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula can only be used for functions that are analytic within a closed curve. This means that the function must be continuous and have a derivative at every point within the curve. If these conditions are not met, the formula cannot be applied.

5. Are there any limitations to using the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula?

One limitation of the 1st Derivative of Cauchy Integral formula is that it only applies to functions that are analytic within a closed curve. Additionally, it can only be used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a single point, rather than over a range of values. Finally, the formula can be complex and challenging to apply in practical situations, making it less useful for some applications.