1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field

In summary: The discrepancy comes from the fact that in the earlier equation, ε0 is the permittivity of free space whereas in the second equation, ε0 is the permeability of free space. The permittivity is a material property and changes with the distance between the charges, while the permeability is a constant.
space-time
I have recently gone over the derivation of the stress energy momentum tensor elements for the special case of dust. This case just used a swarm of particles. Now that I understand that case, I am now trying to see if I can derive the components for an electric field. I just want you guys to please tell me if you agree with what I came up with thus far or if I'm off.

1st: I know the T00 component to be the relativistic energy density. The classical energy density of an electric field (which can be used to find the amount of energy stored in a capacitor) is:

nE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]E2

where: [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the relative permeability of the material and E is the magnitude of the electric field.

Well, I noted that E=(KQ)/r2 where K is Coulomb's constant, Q is charge and r is the distance from the charge that is responsible for the electric field.

K and Q are invariants, but r is not invariant because r is a length and length can be contracted due to lorentz contraction.

r= r0/[itex]\gamma[/itex]

r0 is the length that is seen in the electric field's rest frame of reference.
[itex]\gamma[/itex] is the typical 1/[itex]\sqrt{1-(v2/c2)}[/itex]

Having said this, if r = r0/[itex]\gamma[/itex] then

r2 = (r0)2 / [itex]\gamma[/itex]2

Now going back to the formula for the magnitude of the electric field, the formula would change to:

E= (KQ) / ((r0)2 / [itex]\gamma[/itex]2) = (KQ[itex]\gamma[/itex]2)/ (r0)2

This would mean that E2 would be (K2Q2[itex]\gamma[/itex]4)/ (r0)4

Finally going back to the energy density expression nE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]E2 , this would change to:

nE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex] * (K2Q2[itex]\gamma[/itex]4)/ (r0)4

Therefore my derived quantity for the energy density T00 = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex] * (K2Q2[itex]\gamma[/itex]4)/ (r0)4

What do you guys think? Am I right, a little off or way off base? If it is either of the latter two, then can you please explain where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
1st: I know the T00 component to be the relativistic energy density. The classical energy density of an electric field (which can be used to find the amount of energy stored in a capacitor) is:

nE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]E2

where: [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the relative permeability of the material and E is the magnitude of the electric field.
That is it, you are done. Remember that Maxwell's equations are already relativistic, so the classical energy density is the same as the relativistic energy density. There is no need to do any of the rest of the work that you did.

However, note, that is the energy density only in the frame where there is a pure electric field. In other frames there is also a magnetic field, and the energy density in other frames is ##1/2 (\epsilon_0 E^2 + B^2/\mu_0)##. In other frames, the relativistic correction does not come about due to some factor of γ but simply due to the presence of the B field in the other frames.

DaleSpam said:
That is it, you are done. Remember that Maxwell's equations are already relativistic, so the classical energy density is the same as the relativistic energy density. There is no need to do any of the rest of the work that you did.

However, note, that is the energy density only in the frame where there is a pure electric field. In other frames there is also a magnetic field, and the energy density in other frames is ##1/2 (\epsilon_0 E^2 + B^2/\mu_0)##. In other frames, the relativistic correction does not come about due to some factor of γ but simply due to the presence of the B field in the other frames.

Thank you for this information. I have not yet studied Maxwell's equations so I did not know that the energy density formula was already relativistic. I shall study them now.

bcrowell said:
There are also some other components besides T00. See section 10.6 of my SR book for a derivation: http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/

Thank you for this source. I have a question about something I read in the book.

In section 10.6 you said that the energy density U for the electromagnetic field was:

U= (E2 + B2)/(8[itex]\pi[/itex]K) where K is Coulomb's constant.

K= 1/ (4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]0)

Therefore:

8[itex]\pi[/itex]K = (8[itex]\pi[/itex])/(4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]0)= 2/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]0

This leads to the original expression for U to become:

U = (E2 + B2)/(2/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]0)= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]0(E2 + B2)

This is slightly different from the energy density expression that I learned about just prior to this post:

U = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][ε0E2 + (B2/[itex]\mu[/itex]0)]

Can you please explain where the discrepancy between the formulas comes in and why it is one and not the other?

Thank you.

1. What is the significance of the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field?

The 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field, also known as the energy density, represents the amount of energy per unit volume stored in an electric field. It is an important quantity in understanding the behavior and effects of electric fields in various physical systems.

2. How is the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field calculated?

The 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field can be calculated using the formula:

E1 = ε0 * (Ex2 + Ey2 + Ez2),

where ε0 is the permittivity of free space and Ex, Ey, and Ez are the components of the electric field in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. What are the units of the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field?

The units of the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field are joules per cubic meter (J/m3). This is because it represents the energy stored per unit volume in the electric field.

4. How does the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field relate to the other stress-energy tensor components?

The 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field is just one component of the full stress-energy tensor, which describes the energy and momentum density of an electromagnetic field. The other components represent the energy and momentum stored in the magnetic field, as well as the fluxes of energy and momentum in the electromagnetic field.

5. How does the 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field change with the presence of a material medium?

The 1st stress-energy tensor component for an electric field is affected by the presence of a material medium through the permittivity of the medium (ε). This quantity describes how much the electric field is weakened or strengthened in the presence of the medium. As such, the value of the 1st stress-energy tensor component may change in different materials, depending on their permittivity values.