Simple 1VDC Relay Circuit for Low-Power Device Control | DIY Electronics

In summary, the person is trying to find a way to turn on and off a device using a vibration motor's power source. The person started by using a relay circuit controlled by a serial port on a computer, but now wants to move it to the cellular angle. They are looking for advice on a simple switching relay circuit that will work.
arcadefreaque
Okay, admittedly I am not that well versed in electronics. I can solder and follow directions well enough to put together some interesting hacks occasionally, but I'm really a greenie when it comes to certain aspects.

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to accomplish turning on and off a device that is powered by about 3.6vdc. The trigger mechanism would be a cell phone's vibration motor's power source (motor disconnected) which outputs somewhere around 1 - 1.3vdc.

I started this project by using a simple relay circuit controlled by a serial port of a computer, but now want to move it to the cellular angle - which gives me much lower power output unless I go with some sort of bluetooth serial adaptor (which I'm working on as well). For now though, if anybody has ideas on a simple scenario for a quick switching relay circuit that would work for this scenario, I'd really appreciate the assistance.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not real comfortble with this question. Thread locked for a bit...

Okay, after some side discussion, I'm re-opening the thread.

1V is really too low to run much of a relay, but plenty to turn on a transistor. Just use an NPN transistor to ground as your switch. Take your output and drive the base through a resistor, ground the emitter, and put the collector to one side of the motor. The other side of the motor goes to your battery + supply.

Okay, this sounds do-able. I've attached a really cheesy drawing of what I believe that you're describing. Basically confirming that I need to tie the grounds of the two devices together, and treat the output of the collector as the "ground" for my motor being driven, and attach the motor directly to the positive side of the power supply.

I'd read that if I'm driving a motor from this circuit that I should probably include a diode between the 3.3vdc+ and the output of the collector so that the transistor is protected from any spikes, would you agree with this summation?

Thanks a BUNCH for your advice :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23210&stc=1&d=1264018597

Attachments

• cellphone.bmp
    202.4 KB · Views: 855
arcadefreaque said:
Okay, this sounds do-able. I've attached a really cheesy drawing of what I believe that you're describing. Basically confirming that I need to tie the grounds of the two devices together, and treat the output of the collector as the "ground" for my motor being driven, and attach the motor directly to the positive side of the power supply.

I'd read that if I'm driving a motor from this circuit that I should probably include a diode between the 3.3vdc+ and the output of the collector so that the transistor is protected from any spikes, would you agree with this summation?

Thanks a BUNCH for your advice :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23210&stc=1&d=1264018597

Well done. And yes, a diode across the motor is a good idea, with the cathode to the + terminal and the anode to the - terminal. Do you know if the phone output signal is DC or pulsed?

berkeman said:
Well done. And yes, a diode across the motor is a good idea, with the cathode to the + terminal and the anode to the - terminal. Do you know if the phone output signal is DC or pulsed?

Thank you!

It appears that power is dc power but it turns on and off quickly when the phone rings in vibrate mode. This is a function of the software from what I can tell. My application will actually be a piece of software running on the phone, so I will be turning the power on and off as needed rather than letting it pulse from the ringer's logic routine. I'll have to test this tonight by running the app and measuring the output when I am directly driving it, to be sure.

1. How does a 1VDC relay circuit work?

A 1VDC relay circuit is a type of electronic switch that uses a small current to control a larger current. It consists of a coil of wire, an electromagnet, and a set of contacts. When the coil is energized with 1VDC, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the contacts together, completing the circuit and allowing the larger current to flow. When the coil is de-energized, the contacts return to their original state, breaking the circuit.

2. What are the benefits of using a 1VDC relay circuit for low-power device control?

One of the main benefits of using a 1VDC relay circuit is its ability to control a larger current with a small input voltage. This makes it ideal for low-power devices, as it allows for the use of a smaller power source. Additionally, relays offer a reliable and durable switching solution, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

3. Can I build a 1VDC relay circuit myself?

Yes, a 1VDC relay circuit can be built using basic electronic components and simple circuitry. There are many DIY tutorials and resources available online that provide step-by-step instructions on how to build a relay circuit. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of electronics and proper safety precautions before attempting to build a circuit.

4. What types of devices can be controlled with a 1VDC relay circuit?

A 1VDC relay circuit can be used to control a wide range of devices, such as lights, motors, fans, and other electronic components. It is commonly used in home automation, automotive applications, and industrial control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 1VDC relay circuit?

One limitation of using a 1VDC relay circuit is its relatively slow switching speed compared to other electronic switches. Additionally, the coil of a relay can generate electromagnetic interference, which may affect the performance of nearby electronic devices. It is important to consider these factors when using a relay circuit and choose the appropriate type for your specific application.