2.3 Exercises from the Feyman Lectures on Physics

In summary: If ##n=1##, then $$\sum_{i=1}^N(\boldsymbol F_i,\delta\boldsymbol r_i)=F_1=0$$ so we have the principle of virtual work for equilibrium.If ##n>1##, then $$\sum_{i=1}^N(\boldsymbol F_i,\delta\boldsymbol r_i)eq F_1$$ and the principle of virtual work for equilibrium does not hold.
new90
Homework Statement
a body is acted upon by n forces and is in static equilibrium.Use the principle of virtual work t prove that
if n = 1 the magnitude of the force must be zero
Relevant Equations
no equation
i don't know what's the answer but I think that the force needs to be gravity because is going down to the floor

Physics news on Phys.org
new90 said:
i don't know what's the answer but I think that the force needs to be gravity because is going down to the floor
What if the body is the middle of outer space?

Likes sysprog
then there willl be work because there there will be a force pusing in some direction

Please try to understand what Professor Feynman meant by the words 'static equilibrium'.

i think it means that the body its not moving

new90 said:
i think it means that the body its not moving
It means that any force acting on the body in any direction is counter-balanced by a force acting in an oppositional direction.

Somewhere in your analysis you must use the principle of virtual work as the problem directs you to do. Write an expression in the case of a body at equilibrium when acted upon by ##n## forces and then see what happens when you set ##n=1##.

Likes sysprog
Also remember that the principle of virtual work says the virtual work must be zero for any infinitesimal displacement. Because you could easily choose ##d\vec{r}## to be orthogonal to the resultant force!

etotheipi said:
Also remember that the principle of virtual work says the virtual work must be zero for any infinitesimal displacement. Because you could easily choose ##d\vec{r}## to be orthogonal to the resultant force!
Well, equally true is that it must be non-zero for any non-zero force -- if it is infinitesimal it is still infinitesimally non-zero. Let's please not abuse zero while we are petting our pet inconsistencies . . .

Likes etotheipi
Are you able to do it just by condition implied by static equilibrium? I mean do you know that ##\Sigma## notation for statics?

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:
Well, equally true is that it must be non-zero for any non-zero force -- if it is infinitesimal it is still infinitesimally non-zero. Let's please not abuse zero while we are petting our pet inconsistencies . . .

My apologies, I was being careless. I meant to say "for any virtual displacement".

Likes sysprog
Adesh said:
Are you able to do it just by condition implied by static equilibrium? I mean do you know that ##\Sigma## notation for statics?
In my view, the sigma notation, in this instance, refers to sum, I think that I don't quite fully understand your question . . .

It means that any force acting on the body in any direction is counter-balanced by a force acting in an oppositional direction.
but there's its says only one force

sysprog said:
In my view, the sigma notation, in this instance, refers to sum, I think that I don't quite fully understand your question . . .
Does OP know this ## \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F_i} =0## ?

whos OP

new90 said:
whos OP
OP : Original Poster.

OK

I DINT KNOW THANKS

new90 said:
I DINT KNOW THANKS
Do you know for Static Equilibrium we should have $$ \sum_{i =1}^{n} \vec{F_i} =0 $$ ?

i don't know what it means the n

new90 said:
i don't know what it means the n
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F_i} = \vec{F_1}+ \vec{F_2} + \vec{F_3} +... + \vec{F_n} =0$$ Are things a little clearer now?

Likes Lnewqban
yes thanks

Likes Adesh
but in this case its just
Fi= 0

new90 said:
but in this case its just
Fi= 0
If ##n=1## we have $$ \sum_{i=1}^{1} \vec{F_i} = F_1 = 0$$ How about now?

Likes Lnewqban
yes its clear
thanks

new90 said:
yes its clear
thanks
But you don’t have to do it like this 😅
You have to do it by the Principle of virtual work.

Principle of virtual work = the force x the virtual
displacement?

Likes Adesh
thanks I answered with principle of virtual work

Likes Adesh
Adesh said:
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F_i} = \vec{F_1}+ \vec{F_2} + \vec{F_3} +\dots+ \vec{F_n} =0$$
I 'corrected' your ##\LaTeX## ##-## you had 4 dots instead of 3 ##-## :wink: your math was just fine ##\dots##

• Haha
Likes Adesh
sysprog said:
I 'corrected' your ##\LaTeX## ##-## you had 4 dots instead of 3 ##-## :wink: your math was just fine ##\dots##
It seems that you have adjusted it’s height too!

Likes sysprog
Adesh said:
It seems that you have adjusted it’s height too!
I used \dots instead of typing period marks in -- oh, and, 'its', in the possessive sense, doesn't take the apostrophe -- that's for a contraction of 'it is'; not for a possession of something that belongs to something that we call 'it'.

sysprog said:
I used \dots instead of typing period marks in -- oh, and, 'its', in the possessive sense, doesn't take the apostrophe -- that's for a contraction of 'it is'; not for a possession of something that belongs to something that we call 'it'.
Thank you for teaching me that. Something like that occurs in Shakespearen Sonnets too, “ ‘Tis “ , Shakespeare did it for his iambic feet (In my Opinion).

Likes sysprog
Assume that a rigid body consists of ##N## particles and i-th particle has a mss ##m_i## and a radius-vector ##\boldsymbol r_i##.
Principle of virtual work for equilibrium is written as follows $$\sum_{i=1}^N(\boldsymbol F_i,\delta\boldsymbol r_i)=0,\qquad (1)$$ here ##\delta \boldsymbol r_i## is a virtual displacement of the i-th particle.

Fix any point ##A## in the rigid body. Then $$\delta\boldsymbol r_i=\delta\boldsymbol r_A+\delta\boldsymbol\psi\times\boldsymbol\rho_i,\quad \boldsymbol\rho_i=\boldsymbol r_i-\boldsymbol r_A.\qquad (2)$$
Here ##\delta\boldsymbol\psi## is a virtual rotation of the rigid body (perhaps someone prefers another term).

Now plug formula (2) in (1). After some transformations we get:
$$(\boldsymbol F,\delta \boldsymbol r_A)+(\boldsymbol\tau_A,\delta\boldsymbol\psi)=0,$$
here ##\boldsymbol F=\sum_i\boldsymbol F_i## is the net force and ##\boldsymbol\tau_A=\sum_i\boldsymbol\rho_i\times \boldsymbol F_i## is the total torque about the point ##A##.

If ##\delta \boldsymbol r_A## and ##\delta\boldsymbol\psi##
are independent then we obtain the standard condition of equilibrium: ##\boldsymbol F=0,\quad \boldsymbol \tau_A=0##.

Last edited:
Likes TSny, Lnewqban and sysprog
Adesh said:
Thank you for teaching me that. Something like that occurs in Shakespearen Sonnets too, “ ‘Tis “ , Shakespeare did it for his iambic feet (In my Opinion).
Using 'tis as an abbreviation for 'it is' is different from (incorrectly) using 'it's' for something possessed by an 'it'. Yes, a lot of of Shakespeare is written in iambic pentameter.
Mark Antony in Julius Caesar Act 3 Scene 2 said:
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interrèd with their bones.
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious.
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answered it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest—
For Brutus is an honorable man;
So are they all, all honorable men—
Come I to speak in Caesar’s funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me.

Last edited:
Likes Adesh

1. What is the purpose of the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics are designed to help readers better understand and apply the concepts and principles discussed in the lectures. They provide an opportunity for readers to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential for understanding physics.

2. How difficult are the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The difficulty of the exercises varies, but they are generally considered to be challenging. They require a strong understanding of the material presented in the lectures and may require some additional research or outside knowledge. However, with dedication and practice, they can be successfully completed by readers of all levels.

3. Can the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics be solved using only the information presented in the lectures?

Yes, the exercises are designed to be solved using only the information presented in the lectures. However, some exercises may require additional research or outside knowledge to fully understand and solve.

4. Are the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics applicable to real-world situations?

Yes, many of the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics are based on real-world situations and can be applied to various fields of science and engineering. They are designed to help readers develop problem-solving skills that can be applied in a variety of contexts.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the exercises in the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with the exercises, such as online forums and study groups. Additionally, some editions of the Feynman Lectures on Physics include solutions to selected exercises, and there are also supplemental materials and study guides available for purchase.