2-body problem - how to get the angle theta?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the 2-body problem analytically using a book as a reference. The person is trying to find a solution for the angle theta, but is stuck because all the equations involve the displacement vector r, which has not yet been computed. The expert explains that the equation for r can be rewritten in terms of a single cosine and suggests defining the starting point of theta as 0, but acknowledges that there is no explicit solution for theta and it can only be calculated using numerical methods. The expert provides some references for calculating the true anomaly, which is necessary for solving the 2-body problem.
alyx_vance

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve the 2-body problem analytically by following this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=im...ential equations&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false"
(note: the book preview is not complete, but you can find pages 69-73 http://books.google.com/books?id=oNvFAzQXBhsC&lpg=PA58&pg=PA64#v=onepage&q&f=false", it's a different version of the book but this section is identical as far as i noticed)

On page 68, the last equation (2.35) gives me the solution to r, the magnitude of the displacement vector between the bodies. But how do I get the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]? It's a function of time too, but all the equations with it contain also r, which I don't have yet computed.
I understand how to get the constants (probably) and how to convert between the various coordinate systems, but I just don't see a way to get the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. As far as I see it, r(t) depends on [tex]\theta[/tex](t) and [tex]\theta[/tex](t) depends on r(t), so I'm kind of stuck...

Homework Equations

Equation 2.35 in the first book link and 2.36 in the second.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wondered if maybe [tex]\theta'[/tex] is constant but it doesn't seem so. I think I am missing some basic concept :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ) can be written in terms of a single cosine (or if you prefer, a single sine):

Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ)
=1/sqrt(A2+B2) * (cos(φ)cos(θ)+sin(φ)sin(θ))
=1/sqrt(A2+B2)*cos(θ-φ)

Since we get to define the starting point of θ, we might as well define it so that the phase φ is 0. In fact, this is how the orbit equation is usually written; I don't know why your book doesn't write the equation this way.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand it :(
I get it that the Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ) can be rewritten using only a single cosine...but that doesn't tell me how to compute θ(t). Define it so that the phase is 0? How? Isn't it changing with time?

Oh, I'm sorry; I misunderstood your question. There is no explicit solution for θ(t). Theta (also called the true anomaly) can only be calculated using numerical methods like Newton's. For the solar system, this works well because the orbits are nearly circular and corrections are small compared to the angle calculated assuming a circular orbit (called mean anomaly).

Oh. Wasn't there supposed to be an analytical exact solution to the 2-body problem? I am writing a n-body simulator and I wanted to compare the numerical integration methods to an exact solution in the case of two bodies...
Could you please give me some reference? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that 2-body needs numerical methods. And is there some open-source software I could look into to see how it's done? It would save me some time, thanks.

Last edited:
There's an analytical solution to the two-body problem in the sense that:

1) You can write the distance r in terms of theta, the true anomaly
2) You can write down the formula for a converging series that gives the true anomaly

However, this doesn't mean that there's a closed-form solution (one with no series, just well-known functions) to the true anomaly. As it turns out, there isn't.

The solution for the true anomaly is essentially the solution to the inverse Kepler equation. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_Equation. Once you get the eccentric anomaly, true anomaly can be calculated using the much simpler equation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentric_anomaly#From_the_true_anomaly

In practice, however, that series isn't usually used. See here for practical numerical methods of calculating the true anomaly: http://www.stargazing.net/kepler/kepler.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, the last link looks helpfull.

1. What is the 2-body problem?

The 2-body problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the motion of two objects (usually celestial bodies) under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is an important concept in the field of celestial mechanics and has been studied by scientists for centuries.

2. How is the angle theta related to the 2-body problem?

The angle theta, also known as the true anomaly, is a key parameter in solving the 2-body problem. It represents the angle between the periapsis (closest approach) of the orbit and the current position of the orbiting object. Calculating the true anomaly is essential in predicting the future motion of the two bodies.

3. What factors influence the angle theta in the 2-body problem?

The angle theta is influenced by several factors, including the masses and distances of the two objects, their initial positions and velocities, and the gravitational constant. These factors, along with the laws of motion and gravitation, determine the trajectory of the two bodies and the value of theta at any given time.

4. How is the angle theta calculated in the 2-body problem?

The angle theta can be calculated using various mathematical equations and algorithms, depending on the specific scenario and the complexity of the problem. Some common methods include using Kepler's laws of planetary motion, the vis-viva equation, and numerical integration techniques. Advanced computer software is often used to accurately calculate theta in complex 2-body systems.

5. What are the practical applications of solving the 2-body problem and obtaining the angle theta?

The 2-body problem and the angle theta have many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites, planning space missions, and understanding the behavior of binary star systems. It is also used in fields such as astrodynamics, astronomy, and aerospace engineering to study and analyze the dynamics of celestial bodies and their interactions with each other.