2-Dimensional motion problem once again

• Thread starter r3dxP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, A car is parked on a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline of 24.0 degrees below the horizontal. The car, with a constant acceleration of 4.0m/s^2, rolls from rest for a distance of 50.0m to the edge of the cliff, which is 30.0m above the ocean. The car was in the air for 1.92 seconds and landed 32.6m from the base of the cliff. The initial horizontal velocity of the car was 20m/s.
r3dxP
A car is parked on a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 24.0 degrees below the horizontal. The negligent driver leaves the car in neutral, and the emergency brakes are defective. the car rolls from rest down the incline with a constant acceleration of 4.0m/s^2 for a distance of 50.0m to the edge of the cliff. the cliff is 30.0m above the ocean.

a. what is the car's position relative to the base of the cliff when the car lands?
b. how long is the car in the air?

this is one of my question for school, and i have no idea what to do.. my attempt was : R=1/2at^2 ; 50.0m=1/2(4.00m/s^2)(t^2); t=5.00s, thus it was on the cliff for 5seconds. now what? i have no clue.. :( any help will be nice..

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the time it took to go down the cliff, then you should be able to get it's velocity once it leaves the cliff. Now it's gravity's turn. Note, of course, the angle with which the car leaves the cliff, which means it has initial velocity in both x and y.

R=1/2at^2 ; 50.0m=1/2(4.00m/s^2)(t^2); t=5.00s, thus the car was on the cliff for 5seconds. ok, so.. Vi = 50.0m/5.00s = 10.0m/s. this is the initial velocity once the car is off the cliff. In respect to the vertical displacement, x=Vix*t - (1/2)(g)(t^2) ; 30.0m=(10.0m/s)(sin 66.0degrees)(t)-(4.9m/s^2)(t^2); by rearranging, we get (4.9m/s^2)t^2 - (9.14m/s)t + 30.0m = 0; by using the quadratic equation, we get t= 1.92, -.922; thus, t=1.92 because negative value for time does not exist. The car was in the air for 1.92 seconds.

i just solved for b, is that correct?

r3dxP said:
R=1/2at^2 ; 50.0m=1/2(4.00m/s^2)(t^2); t=5.00s, thus the car was on the cliff for 5seconds. ok, so.. Vi = 50.0m/5.00s = 10.0m/s. this is the initial velocity once the car is off the cliff. In respect to the vertical displacement, x=Vix*t - (1/2)(g)(t^2) ; 30.0m=(10.0m/s)(sin 66.0degrees)(t)-(4.9m/s^2)(t^2); by rearranging, we get (4.9m/s^2)t^2 - (9.14m/s)t + 30.0m = 0; by using the quadratic equation, we get t= 1.92, -.922; thus, t=1.92 because negative value for time does not exist. The car was in the air for 1.92 seconds.

If the car was on the cliff for 5 s, you have the acceleration, 4 m/s^2. Thus,
[tex]v_0 = gt = 4 \ m/s^2 \ * \ 5 \ s = 20 \ m/s[/tex]

The car now falls under gravity from a height of 30 m.
[tex] 30 = 20 \sin{24} \ * \ t + \frac{1}{2} gt^2[/tex].
That should give you the hangtime.
Horizontal motion is separated from vertical motion. Its initial velocity is 20 cos(24) m/s, but it takes t sec. to travel its horizontal distance.

what do i do for part A?

Last edited by a moderator:
r3dxP said:
is g = 9.8m/s^2 or -9.8m/s^2?

As usual, it depends on which direction you're looking. Since the (vertical) velocity is directed down, the acceleration is down, and the displacement is down, I chose "down" to be the positive direction.

So use the positive value for g.

r3dxP said:
what do i do for part A?

The time the car spends in the air is also the only time the car has to travel horizontally. You have the initial velocity and the angle, so you should be able to calculate the initial horizontal velocity. Once you have that, velocity times time equals ...?

ah i get 32.6m. but wouldn't i have to add 50sin66 to it because you have to add the distance the car traveled while declining from the cliff to the edge of the cliff?

r3dxP said:
ah i get 32.6m. but wouldn't i have to add 50sin66 to it because you have to add the distance the car traveled while declining from the cliff to the edge of the cliff?

That depends on the shape of the cliff as defined in the original problem. I imagined it as a straight drop-off at the end, in which case the base of the cliff is directly below the point where the car leaves the cliff, in which case, no, you don't need to add on, since the question asks for the distance from the base. If the cliff is differently shaped, that would play a role.

Related to 2-Dimensional motion problem once again

1. What is 2-dimensional motion?

2-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two perpendicular directions simultaneously. This can be represented by a graph with an x-axis and a y-axis.

2. How is 2-dimensional motion different from 1-dimensional motion?

In 1-dimensional motion, an object only moves in one direction. In 2-dimensional motion, an object can move in two perpendicular directions at the same time.

3. What is the formula for calculating displacement in 2-dimensional motion?

The formula for calculating displacement in 2-dimensional motion is Δr = Δx + Δy, where Δr is the total displacement, Δx is the displacement in the x-direction, and Δy is the displacement in the y-direction.

4. How do you calculate velocity in 2-dimensional motion?

To calculate velocity in 2-dimensional motion, you can use the formula v = Δr/t, where v is the velocity, Δr is the displacement, and t is the time taken. Alternatively, you can calculate the velocity in the x and y directions separately using the formula v = Δx/t and v = Δy/t, and then combine them using the Pythagorean theorem.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2-dimensional motion?

Some real-life examples of 2-dimensional motion include a ball being thrown in the air, a car driving on a curved path, and a plane taking off and landing. Essentially, any object that moves in two perpendicular directions simultaneously exhibits 2-dimensional motion.