Finding Solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$: Suggestions?

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of determining the values of k for which 2^k=n in the ring of integers modulo p. The number of solutions for k is expected to either be 0 or a divisor of p-1, but beyond that, brute force is needed. Suggestions for solving this problem are discussed, with a reference to the Sloan table A001918 and the use of primitive roots. However, the conversation concludes that this is generally a difficult problem, as it falls under the discrete logarithm and hidden subgroup problems.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is there a good algorithm for determining for what values of k [itex]2^k=n[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p[/itex]? I expect the number of solutions for k to be either 0 or a number dividing p-1, but beyond that I have nothing but brute force. Suggestions?

I think this is a fairly basic question, but I can't think of an answer. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look this up on the Sloan table A001918, it will give you least primitative roots, if you also obtain a list that orders the primes. In this case, for example prime(35) = 149, and has 2 as a primitative root. Thus, there is always a solution to 2^k==n Mod 149. But beyond that the matter is much more difficult. Solving 2^k==50 Mod 149, I find somehow that 2^30==-5 Mod 149, and thus 2^61==50 Mod 149.

But, you probably know all this already. So, no, I don't think any kind of easy answer is available, since if it was, why bother to even compile primitative roots?

Last edited:
CRGreathouse said:
Is there a good algorithm for determining for what values of k [itex]2^k=n[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p[/itex]? I expect the number of solutions for k to be either 0 or a number dividing p-1, but beyond that I have nothing but brute force. Suggestions?

I think this is a fairly basic question, but I can't think of an answer. Can someone point me in the right direction?

dear CRGreathouse
have a look at the wikipedia pages on "discrete logarithm" and "hidden subgroup problem". Short answer: it is a hard problem.

Related to Finding Solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$: Suggestions?

1. What is the purpose of finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$?

The purpose of finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$ is to solve mathematical equations involving exponents and modular arithmetic. This can have practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and number theory.

2. What is the concept of modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a system of arithmetic for integers where numbers "wrap around" after reaching a certain value, known as the modulus. This system is used to handle calculations involving remainders and is often used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How does finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$ relate to computer science?

Finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$ can be applied in computer science to solve problems involving binary operations and modular arithmetic. This can be useful in optimizing algorithms and coding data structures.

4. What are some examples of real-world applications for finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$?

Some real-world applications for finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$ include coding and encrypting data, generating secure random numbers, and error detection and correction in communication systems. It can also be used in certain types of data compression and in solving certain types of mathematical equations.

5. What are some strategies for finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$?

Some strategies for finding solutions for 2^k=n in $\mathbb{Z}/p$ include using modular exponentiation algorithms, such as the binary method or Montgomery's method. Other approaches include using properties of modular arithmetic, such as Fermat's Little Theorem or the Chinese Remainder Theorem. It can also be helpful to use computer programming or mathematical software to efficiently search for solutions.