2 masses collide, one has spring. -Collision, Momentum, Spring energy

In summary, Homework Statement states that a mass of 0.4 kg collides with a mass of 0.8 kg, resulting in a delta X of -0.683.
azurken

Homework Statement

Mass 1 at 10m/s collides into mass 2 at rest, which has a spring attached to it. The second mass has a spring at 200N/m and natural length L0 = 0.1m. At the instant they collide, the spring is compressed to its max amount and the masses move with the same speed V. Determine the delta X between the objects at this instant. Both momentum and mech energy are conserved.

M1=0.4kg
M2=0.8kg
V1=10 m/s
V2=0 (at rest)
K= 200N/m
L0=0.1m
dX=??

Homework Equations

Vf=(m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2)

SPE=0.5Kx^2

KE=0.5mV^2

dX=L-L0

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf=(.4)(10)/(1.2)=3.333

So there are three instances here of the collision, when the m1 goes to m2 is the first. Then M1 and M2 being the same object at that one instant. And after. I don't need to measure after so I can just do.

KE1+PE1=KE2+PE2

which gives me KE1=.5*m1*v1^2

No contact made at PE1 so there's none here.

KE2 = (.5)*(m1+m2)*(Vf)^2

Then PE2 and at this point there's contact and since I know it's compressing the Delta X should be negative (which is still strange) when it all works out.

PE2 = (.5)*(200N/m)*(dX)^2

All this will give me KE1=KE2+PE2 to

20m/s = [6.666(Kg)(m^2)/(s^2)] + (.5)*(200N/m)*dX^2

20m/s - [6.666(Kg)(m^2)/(s^2)] = (.5)*(200N/m)*dX^2

.2 m/s - 0.666 (kgm^2)/(s^2) = dX^2

Yes the units don't match up. I can't clear it but if I ignore all that, a -(.466) sqrooted is -.683 as the dX.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright so yeah. After doing a couple other trials, I'll basically get numbers larger than the L0 (natural length) for dX. Which can't be true because it can only compress so much. It cannot be more than 0.1m.

The arrangement is not clear. Is the spring connected to anything else? What is the orientation of the spring with regard to the other mass? A picture would help immensely.

azurken said:

Homework Statement

Mass 1 at 10m/s collides into mass 2 at rest, which has a spring attached to it. The second mass has a spring at 200N/m and natural length L0 = 0.1m. At the instant they collide, the spring is compressed to its max amount and the masses move with the same speed V. Determine the delta X between the objects at this instant. Both momentum and mech energy are conserved.

M1=0.4kg
M2=0.8kg
V1=10 m/s
V2=0 (at rest)
K= 200N/m
L0=0.1m
dX=??

Homework Equations

Vf=(m1v1+m2v2)/(m1+m2)

SPE=0.5Kx^2

KE=0.5mV^2

dX=L-L0

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf=(.4)(10)/(1.2)=3.333

So there are three instances here of the collision, when the m1 goes to m2 is the first. Then M1 and M2 being the same object at that one instant. And after. I don't need to measure after so I can just do.

KE1+PE1=KE2+PE2

which gives me KE1=.5*m1*v1^2

No contact made at PE1 so there's none here.

KE2 = (.5)*(m1+m2)*(Vf)^2

Then PE2 and at this point there's contact and since I know it's compressing the Delta X should be negative (which is still strange) when it all works out.

PE2 = (.5)*(200N/m)*(dX)^2

All this will give me KE1=KE2+PE2 to

20m/s = [6.666(Kg)(m^2)/(s^2)] + (.5)*(200N/m)*dX^2

20m/s - [6.666(Kg)(m^2)/(s^2)] = (.5)*(200N/m)*dX^2

.2 m/s - 0.666 (kgm^2)/(s^2) = dX^2

Yes the units don't match up. I can't clear it but if I ignore all that, a -(.466) sqrooted is -.683 as the dX.

You have calculate KE1 in bold.
Then why change the unit?

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information such as the direction of the collision and the initial position of the masses. This will help me determine the direction and magnitude of the change in position (delta X) between the masses.

Assuming the collision is in one dimension and the masses are initially positioned in a way that the spring is compressed, I would use the conservation of momentum and energy equations to solve for the final velocity of the masses (Vf) after the collision. Then, I would use the equation dX=L-L0 to calculate the change in position (delta X) of the masses.

However, I would also like to note that the units in the attempted solution do not match up and there may be some errors in the calculations. Therefore, I would double check the calculations and make sure that the units are consistent. Additionally, I would suggest using a diagram or graph to visualize the collision and make the problem easier to understand.

Related to 2 masses collide, one has spring. -Collision, Momentum, Spring energy

1. How does the spring factor into the collision between the two masses?

The spring plays a role in the collision by storing and transferring energy between the masses. When the masses collide, the spring compresses or extends, storing potential energy that is then released as kinetic energy to propel the masses in opposite directions.

2. What happens to the momentum of the masses during the collision?

The total momentum of the system remains constant during the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momenta of the masses before the collision is equal to the sum of their momenta after the collision.

3. How does the spring energy change during the collision?

The spring energy changes as the spring compresses or extends during the collision. Initially, the spring has potential energy due to its compression or extension. As the masses collide and the spring releases this potential energy, it is converted into kinetic energy.

4. Is the collision between the two masses elastic or inelastic?

The collision can be either elastic or inelastic, depending on the properties of the masses and the spring. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost to heat or other forms of energy, and the total kinetic energy of the system decreases.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of the collision. It is the ratio of the relative velocity of the masses after the collision to the relative velocity before the collision. A higher coefficient of restitution indicates a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient indicates a more inelastic collision.