2 motors on robot -- how can I save the movement history?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of saving the track of a car robot that follows a black line by recording the speed of its two motors every 100msec. The formula for calculating distance is also mentioned, along with the potential error that may arise from this method. The use of Excel for data processing and curve fitting to plot the track is also suggested.
Barhemo
hello,
I have a car robot with 2 motors which follows a black line.
I want to save the track which the car follows.
I can get the speed of each motor every.
I thought about saving the 2 motor speeds every 100msec and then figure from this the track.
Any ideas how I can do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity = Δdistance/Δtime
so
Δdistance = velocity * Δtime

So you can work out how far each wheel (d1 and d2) has moved in Δtime=100mS.

Using that information you can estimate the radius and angle of any turn. See diagram..

Radius.jpg

More calculations are needed to work out the new position relative to the old position.

This will not give very accurate results because any error will be compounded.

Likes Barhemo
Correction: Sin(angle) = 0.5 (d1-d2)/S

Likes Barhemo
Thank you its a very nice idea.

Beware what I said..

CWatters said:
This will not give very accurate results because any error will be compounded.

Expect very large errors. If each 100mS step has a 1mm error then after 10 seconds the position could be out by 100mm. 20 seconds = 200mm etc.

I think it should be possible to use Excel to process the data and do curve fitting to plot the track.

I found more accurate solution
@CWatters
upload_2015-6-23_20-35-0.png

FAQ: 2 motors on robot -- how can I save the movement history?

1. How can I connect two motors to my robot?

The specific method for connecting two motors to a robot will depend on the type of motors and the specific robot you are using. However, in general, you will need to make sure that the motors are compatible with your robot's power supply and control system. You may also need to use a motor controller or driver to regulate the power and direction of the motors.

2. Can I control the movement of each motor separately?

Yes, you can typically control the movement of each motor separately by using a motor controller or driver. This will allow you to adjust the power and direction of each motor individually, giving you greater control over the movement of your robot.

3. How can I save the movement history of my robot with two motors?

To save the movement history of your robot with two motors, you will need to use a data logging system. This can be done by connecting sensors to your robot that can track its movement, or by programming your robot to record its movements in real-time. You can then save this data to a computer or other storage device for future analysis.

4. What are some potential challenges when using two motors on a robot?

Some potential challenges when using two motors on a robot may include difficulties with synchronizing the movements of the motors, ensuring that they are receiving enough power, and maintaining balance and stability. Additionally, if one motor fails or malfunctions, it can affect the overall movement and performance of the robot.

5. Are there any advantages to using two motors on a robot instead of one?

Yes, there can be several advantages to using two motors on a robot instead of one. For example, using two motors can provide greater power and torque, allowing the robot to carry heavier loads or navigate more challenging terrain. It can also provide more precise control over the movement of the robot, as each motor can be adjusted independently. Additionally, using two motors can provide redundancy in case one motor fails, allowing the robot to continue functioning.