2 non-interacting fermions in 1D SHO

In summary, the two particles are in the lowest-energy triplet state, but because the spin state is not symmetric, the position state must be anti-symmetric. If the spin state is known, the energy can be calculated. If the position state is known, there is a probability that both particles will be located on the right-hand side of the minimum in the potential.
bluebandit26

Homework Statement

Two identical non-interacting spin 1/2 particles are in the one-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator potential V(x) = kx2/2. The particles are in the lowest-energy triplet state.
a. Write down the normalized space part of the wave function.
b. Calculate the energy of this state.
c. If the position of both particles are measured, what is the probability that both particles will be located on the right-hand side of the minimum in the potential?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are fermions, the wave equation is anti-symmetric. If X(x1, x2) is the spin state and Y(x1, x2) is the position state, then Psi = YX. Since the spin state is symmetric in the lowest energy triplet state, the position state must be anti-symmetric.

So, Y(x1, x2) = A[Ya(x1)Yb(x2) - Yb(x1)Ya(x2)]

Here is my problem: in the lowest energy triplet state, both particles are in ground state. So the only difference in state is from the spin. If this assumption is correct, then a = b and Y = 0, which would make Psi = 0, so cannot be right. I think I am misunderstanding something fundamental here. I hope someone can clarify this situation for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're assuming that in the lowest-energy triplet state, both particles are in the single-particle ground state. The reason you're getting the confusing result is because the assumption is wrong.

There are many states where the spins of the electron are in the triplet state. One, and possibly more if there is degeneracy, will have the lowest energy among them. That's the state the particles are in, and it's not necessarily the ground state of the system.

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid I still don't understand. If I don't know the spin state, how do I know whether to use a symmetric or anti-symmetric spatial equation? Do I have to use them all, multiplying by appropriate spatial equation to make the product anti-symmetric, and then sum the products together?

You have the spin state. What you've shown so far is that with that spin state, you can't be in the system's ground state. The lowest-energy triplet state and lowest-energy state are not the same state.

It would seem that you are correct. Since the spatial equation cancels to zero at the ground state, thus making psi forbidden at that state, the lowest energy is with one fermion in n = 1 and the other in n = 2. Thanks for your cryptic yet insightful response.

1. What is a 1D SHO (simple harmonic oscillator)?

A 1D SHO is a model used in physics to describe the motion of a particle along a single axis, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction. This model is often used to study the behavior of particles in a variety of systems, including atoms, molecules, and solids.

2. What are fermions?

Fermions are a type of elementary particle that follow the rules of Fermi-Dirac statistics, which dictate that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. Examples of fermions include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

3. How do non-interacting fermions behave in a 1D SHO?

In a 1D SHO, non-interacting fermions behave according to the laws of quantum mechanics, where their energy levels are quantized and they can only occupy certain discrete energy states. Due to the Pauli exclusion principle, each fermion must have a unique set of quantum numbers, and the energy levels will be filled from the lowest energy state up to the Fermi energy.

4. What is the significance of studying 2 non-interacting fermions in a 1D SHO?

Studying 2 non-interacting fermions in a 1D SHO can provide insights into the behavior of more complex systems, such as atoms and molecules, where interactions between particles cannot be neglected. It also allows for the study of fundamental quantum mechanical principles, such as the Pauli exclusion principle and the quantization of energy levels.

5. What are some applications of understanding 2 non-interacting fermions in a 1D SHO?

Understanding the behavior of 2 non-interacting fermions in a 1D SHO has many practical applications, including in the fields of quantum computing, materials science, and atomic and molecular physics. It can also aid in the development of new technologies and materials, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.