2-slit experiment for electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to simulate the double slit experiment for electrons using the Monte Carlo method. The results of the simulation do not match the classical predictions, and the uncertainty principle is mentioned as a factor. The possibility of incorporating the wave properties of electrons is discussed, with suggestions for simulations using the wave equation and links to helpful resources provided.
markoX
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to simulate double slit experiment for electron (or any particles) by monte carlo method.but there is something interesting here which I explain it for you.
I supposed that electron will pass one of the splits in each time (by same chance) with random angle in X direction (according to uncertainty principle).results was classically predicted and violate experiment results!
Feynman have reported this result would be appear if you want to know where the electrons go.There are some electrons which pass two split at the same time but how can show it in monte carlo simulation?
should i just consider wave properties of electron (I mean wave function) or ... ?
(But I really want to understand this without using wave function)

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are going to incorporate the uncertainty principle you must understand the wave function. If an electron is regarded as a particle, which it no longer is, there is no uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the 2-slit experiment for electron?

The 2-slit experiment for electron is a thought experiment used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of electrons. It involves passing a beam of electrons through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern.

Who first conducted the 2-slit experiment for electron?

The 2-slit experiment for electron was first conducted by physicist George Paget Thomson in 1927.

What is the significance of the 2-slit experiment for electron?

The 2-slit experiment for electron is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-like nature of electrons, challenging the classical understanding of particles as solid, indivisible objects.

What is the difference between the 2-slit experiment for electron and the 2-slit experiment for light?

The 2-slit experiment for electron and the 2-slit experiment for light demonstrate the same principle of wave-particle duality, but the main difference is that electrons are particles with mass, while light is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

How does changing the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in the 2-slit experiment for electron?

Changing the distance between the slits in the 2-slit experiment for electron can affect the interference pattern by changing the wavelength of the electrons, leading to different patterns of constructive and destructive interference.