Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-slit experiment for electron

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody,
    I'm trying to simulate double slit experiment for electron (or any particles) by monte carlo method.but there is something interesting here which I explain it for you.
    I supposed that electron will pass one of the splits in each time (by same chance) with random angle in X direction (according to uncertainty principle).results was classically predicted and violate experiment results!
    Feynman have reported this result would be appear if you want to know where the electrons go.There are some electrons which pass two split at the same time but how can show it in monte carlo simulation?
    should i just consider wave properties of electron (I mean wave function) or ... ?
    (But I really want to understand this without using wave function)

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2
    If you are going to incorporate the uncertainty principle you must understand the wave function. If an electron is regarded as a particle, which it no longer is, there is no uncertainty.
  4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    OK, here is a simulation using the cos sin form of the wave equation. You can look at the code used and adapt for electrons:

And these might be useful too:

A detailed one:

Hope it helps - you need java in your browser.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?