1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 spheres in an ocean

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spheres, with volume 0.1m^3, and masses M1=200kg and M2=15kg, are connected by a thin wire. They are dropped into the ocean (assume Rho=1000kg/m^3) and allowed to sink

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know buoyancy = Rho * g * V
    Buoyancy + Lift-M2 + Fwire = Sink-M1.

I'm not sure how to get the rising/sinking forces of the two spheres, and how they interact with each other though.

Any help at all is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forums,

Well initially, I think it would be best if we considered each sphere independently. So, can you write two separate equations for the net force acting on each sphere?

4. May 17, 2007 #3
    My best guess would be:

Heavy (case1). mg = downwards force - buoyancy. DownwardsF = 200g - 981N = 981N?

I'm not sure how the lighter sphere will act though. If it's specific density is lower than 1 then only part of the sphere will be submerged if it's acting seperately?

5. May 17, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the heavy one, I was thinking something more of the form (taking upwards as positive);

[tex]F_{net} = T + \rho\cdot V\cdot g - m_{1}g[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the string. Does that make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?