1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

24 = 10(e^x/20 + e^-x/20)

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    I'm reviewing for calculus and I've been stuck on this problem for a couple days. Can't seem to figure it out. I keep coming up with ln2.4 = x - x which is just silly, or x = √(400ln2.4) ≈ 18.7. I know the answer is x ≈ 12.5. But I can't figure out the correct process.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

24 = 10(ex/20 + e-x/20)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2.4 = ex/20 + e-x/20

ln2.4 ≠ x/20 - x/20

I tried using ex/20 = ex - e20 but I don't think this is right either. Came up with

20.69 - ln e-x = x

and this is just another silly answer. I must be forgetting some rule. It seems to me like the variables keep canceling out, which I know can't be right.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2
    Do you know the representations for the hyperbolic functions?

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    I guess not.

5. May 24, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The step above is incorrect. There is NO property of logs that allows you to simplify log(A + B) to logA + logB.

Multiply all three terms in the original equation by ex/20. That will give you an equation that is quadratic in form. With a suitable substitution, you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve that equation.

6. May 24, 2012 #5
    To expand on Mark's idea, if ex/20 = u, then what does the equation change into?

7. May 24, 2012 #6
    Thanks Mark! I had tried multiplying by e^x/20 and using the quadratic forumula but I guess I didn't do it right the first time. Checked the trash can: I made a calculator error and didnt notice it. Hate it when I do something right and then make a little mistake that makes me think im not doing it right and I end up trying things that I know look wrong. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook