Solving a Tricky Calculus Equation: 24 = 10(ex/20 + e-x/20)

• Thread starter Larsani
  • Start date
In summary, Mark was trying to solve an equation that had the form ex/20 + e-x/20. He tried using ex/20 = ex - e20 and this did not work. He then tried multiplying all three terms by ex/20 and this gave him an equation that is quadratic in form. With a suitable substitution, he solved the equation using the Quadratic Formula.
Larsani
I'm reviewing for calculus and I've been stuck on this problem for a couple days. Can't seem to figure it out. I keep coming up with ln2.4 = x - x which is just silly, or x = √(400ln2.4) ≈ 18.7. I know the answer is x ≈ 12.5. But I can't figure out the correct process.

Homework Statement

24 = 10(ex/20 + e-x/20)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2.4 = ex/20 + e-x/20

ln2.4 ≠ x/20 - x/20

I tried using ex/20 = ex - e20 but I don't think this is right either. Came up with

20.69 - ln e-x = x

and this is just another silly answer. I must be forgetting some rule. It seems to me like the variables keep canceling out, which I know can't be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the representations for the hyperbolic functions?

I guess not.

Larsani said:
I'm reviewing for calculus and I've been stuck on this problem for a couple days. Can't seem to figure it out. I keep coming up with ln2.4 = x - x which is just silly, or x = √(400ln2.4) ≈ 18.7. I know the answer is x ≈ 12.5. But I can't figure out the correct process.

Homework Statement

24 = 10(ex/20 + e-x/20)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2.4 = ex/20 + e-x/20

ln2.4 ≠ x/20 - x/20
The step above is incorrect. There is NO property of logs that allows you to simplify log(A + B) to logA + logB.

Multiply all three terms in the original equation by ex/20. That will give you an equation that is quadratic in form. With a suitable substitution, you can use the Quadratic Formula to solve that equation.
Larsani said:
I tried using ex/20 = ex - e20 but I don't think this is right either. Came up with

20.69 - ln e-x = x

and this is just another silly answer. I must be forgetting some rule. It seems to me like the variables keep canceling out, which I know can't be right.

To expand on Mark's idea, if ex/20 = u, then what does the equation change into?

Thanks Mark! I had tried multiplying by e^x/20 and using the quadratic forumula but I guess I didn't do it right the first time. Checked the trash can: I made a calculator error and didnt notice it. Hate it when I do something right and then make a little mistake that makes me think I am not doing it right and I end up trying things that I know look wrong. Thanks again.

1. What does the equation "24 = 10(e^x/20 + e^-x/20)" represent?

This equation represents a mathematical relationship between the value 24 and the variables x, e (Euler's number), and 10. It is known as an exponential equation, where the variables are in the exponent positions.

2. How do you solve for x in the equation "24 = 10(e^x/20 + e^-x/20)"?

To solve for x, you can use logarithms to isolate the variable. First, divide both sides by 10 to get "2.4 = e^x/20 + e^-x/20". Then, take the natural logarithm of both sides to get "ln(2.4) = ln(e^x/20 + e^-x/20)". Using logarithm properties, this can be simplified to "ln(2.4) = x/20 + (-x)/20" or "ln(2.4) = 0". Finally, multiply both sides by 20 to get x = 20ln(2.4).

3. Can this equation be graphed?

Yes, this equation can be graphed. When graphed, it will have a curve that approaches the x-axis but never touches it. This type of curve is known as an exponential decay curve.

4. What is the significance of e in the equation "24 = 10(e^x/20 + e^-x/20)"?

The number e, also known as Euler's number, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is often used in exponential functions and has many applications in mathematics and science.

5. How is this equation relevant in scientific research?

This type of exponential equation is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to model natural processes that involve exponential growth or decay. It can also be used in data analysis and forecasting in scientific research.