Exploring 2D Collision Physics with Polygons: Analysis and Simulation

In summary, when analyzing the physics of a 2d collision among polygons, it is important to consider the conservation of momentum and energy. By using these principles, the final velocity of Object A after colliding with Object B can be calculated by considering the mass and velocity of both objects before and after the collision.
beloxx89
I am trying to analyze the physics of a 2d collision among polygons. I supplied you with an image that illustrates my attempt:

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk112/beloxx/?action=view&current=collision.jpg"
http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk112/beloxx/?action=view&current=collision.jpg
Now, object A moves with a velocity Vi while object B is still, as indicated on the image. According to my analysis, object A will transfer its velocity (momentum) through point P to object B which will receive the velocity with a vector perpendicular to the normal (blue line). This will further decompose into angular and transitional velocities which i have no problem doing.
When I tried to simulate that with a program (when a point hits a figure, the collision looks realistic) however what I am confused about is the final velocity of object A after hitting object B, or to be more precise the direction of the final velocity...

Does anyone have any idea? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer this question, you will need to consider the conservation of momentum and energy. Momentum is defined as the product of mass and velocity, and is conserved in any collision. That means that the momentum of both objects before the collision must equal the momentum of both objects after the collision. Since Object A is moving and Object B is not, the momentum of Object A before the collision must equal the total momentum of both objects after the collision. The direction of the final velocity of Object A can then be calculated by using the momentum equation and the known data (mass and velocity) for each object before and after the collision. In addition, the conservation of energy also needs to be considered. Energy is defined as the product of mass and velocity squared, and is also conserved in any collision. That means that the energy of both objects before the collision must equal the energy of both objects after the collision. Again, since Object A is moving and Object B is not, the energy of Object A before the collision must equal the total energy of both objects after the collision. This can then be used to calculate the final velocity of Object A. By combining the conservation of momentum and energy equations, you should be able to determine the direction and magnitude of the final velocity of Object A after the collision.

I would first like to commend you on your attempt to analyze and simulate 2D collision physics with polygons. It is a complex and important topic in the field of physics, and your efforts to understand it are commendable.

Based on your analysis and simulation, it appears that you have a good understanding of the basic principles of collision physics. Object A will indeed transfer its momentum to object B through point P, and this will result in both angular and translational velocities for object B. However, it is important to note that the final velocity of object A will also be affected by the collision.

In order to accurately determine the final velocity of object A, you will need to consider the conservation of momentum and energy. This means that the total momentum and energy of the system (objects A and B) before and after the collision should be equal. By using this principle, you can calculate the final velocity of object A.

Additionally, the direction of the final velocity of object A will depend on the angle at which it collides with object B. If object A collides with object B at a perpendicular angle, the final velocity will be in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. However, if the collision occurs at an angle, the final velocity will have both a horizontal and vertical component.

In order to accurately simulate the collision, you may need to consider factors such as the elasticity of the objects and any external forces acting on them. These can also affect the final velocities and should be taken into account in your simulation.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have about the final velocity of object A in your simulation. Keep exploring and experimenting, and don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance or guidance in your research. Good luck!

What is 2D collision physics?

2D collision physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of objects that collide with each other in a two-dimensional space. It involves the application of laws and principles of motion, energy, and momentum to understand and predict the outcome of collisions between objects.

What are the types of collisions in 2D physics?

There are two types of collisions in 2D physics: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy of the system are conserved, meaning that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, and only momentum is conserved.

How is the momentum of a system calculated in 2D collision physics?

The momentum of a system in 2D collision physics is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

What is the coefficient of restitution in 2D collision physics?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation by the relative velocity of approach. A COR of 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision, while a COR of 0 represents a completely inelastic collision.

Can 2D collision physics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, 2D collision physics can be applied to real-life situations, such as car accidents, ball games, and even the motion of planets. Understanding the principles of 2D collision physics can help engineers design safer structures and vehicles, and help scientists better understand the world around us.