How Do You Calculate the Y-Component of Velocity in a 2D Kinematics Problem?

In summary, the question is asking for the y-component of velocity at t=4 for a particle starting at rest at (r0)=9m j-hat and passing through a wire hoop at (r1)=20m i-hat. The given graphs are mislabelled and confusing, but it can be inferred that the first graph shows vx and the second graph shows vy. The correct answer is not clear due to the lack of information provided.
creechur

Homework Statement

A particle starts from rest at (r0) = 9m j-hat and moves in the xy-plane with the velocity shown in the figure . The particle passes through a wire hoop located at (r1)=20m i-hat, then continues onward.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7841&stc=1&d=1159234661

The question I'm having trouble with is finding the y-component of velocity at t=4

Homework Equations

I think it's v = vi + ay delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -40 (express to only one sig fig) and it was wrong, so I have no idea what to do

Someone please just point me in the direction to go, and not to an older thread

Physics news on Phys.org
The graphs are confusing. Both claim to be of vx as a function of time, but are clearly showing different functions. Can you explain more what the two graphs are supposed to be showing?

the first graph (positive V) is Vx the second one is vy

Okay.

If that graph is the only information we have about vy, your question is unanswerable. Normally you would just read the value of vy at t=4 seconds on the graph. But whoever made the graph has done it sloppily, all we have is the cryptic "4y" label for the velocity at 4 seconds. Plus they mislabelled vx for the graph that should be vy.

Are these graphs something your professor provided in a printout? I can't believe a textbook would have something like this, since they normally have editors and proofreaders to troubleshoot errors like this.

It actually an online site that we do our homework on, I found those graphs elsewhere. I know it has something to do with the acceleration of gravity, but I submitted the answer 40 and got counted wrong (i submitted both negative and positive

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, which includes both the vertical and horizontal components of an object's movement.

2. What are the main equations used in 2D kinematics problems?

The main equations used in 2D kinematics problems are the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How do I solve a 2D kinematics problem?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem, you will need to identify the given variables, including initial and final positions, velocities, accelerations, and time. Then, you can use the equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are the differences between 1D and 2D kinematics?

The main difference between 1D and 2D kinematics is the number of dimensions being considered. 1D kinematics only looks at motion in one dimension, while 2D kinematics takes into account both vertical and horizontal movement.

5. How do I know when to use 2D kinematics in a problem?

You should use 2D kinematics when the problem involves motion in two dimensions, such as an object being thrown at an angle or a projectile motion problem. If the problem only involves motion in one dimension, then 1D kinematics equations can be used instead.