2D Momentum and Collisions Lab Help Grade 12

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving a completely inelastic collision between two masses. The known mass and velocity are given, while the unknown mass and velocity need to be calculated using the equations for momentum and kinetic energy. The problem arises when trying to solve for the unknown mass using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3, as the mass cancels out. The person is looking for guidance on how to rearrange the equation to find the unknown mass.
Ranjan1995

Homework Statement

For a lab, I have performed a completely inelastic collision using 2 masses. One mass is 0.583 kg, and the other is the unknown we have to find. Using an air table, I was given the dots to show the movements of the objects as they intersect and them move together. I have broken them into components and solved for the velocity and the momentum for each. Well, that's where the problem is:

Momentum of the known mass:

m1v1 = p1
m1x(v1x) = p1x
m1y(v1y) = p1y

Same thing for the second mass, except it is m2, an unknown.

When they move together, I know the mass will be the total (m1 + m2, which i state as m3) and the velocity will also be something else, v3.

Now, the problem:

I am trying to do m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3 to find the unknown mass Question is, how would i rearrange the equation to find this m2.

Homework Equations

mv = p
1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just trying with the 'x' component for the example:

m1 = 0.583 kg
v1x = 0.18 m/s [E]

m2 = unknown
v2x = 0.29 m/s [W]

m3 = m1 + m2
v3x = 0.05 m/s [W]

m1v1 + m2v2 = m3v3

How can i find this mass, it cancels out the moment I bring one of the m2's to the other side , I am I making some mistake here? I know it may not seem like I did any work, but I have pages of work getting to this part haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
what else could you call m3?

m3 is (m1 + m2)

i think you should show your work so far. there is no reason anything should cancel out.

I got it, thanks.

What is the purpose of the 2D Momentum and Collisions Lab in Grade 12?

The purpose of this lab is to demonstrate the principles of momentum and collisions in a two-dimensional setting. By analyzing the interactions between objects in motion, students can gain a better understanding of these concepts and how they apply in real-world scenarios.

What materials are needed for the 2D Momentum and Collisions Lab?

To complete this lab, students will need a flat surface, two or more objects of varying masses, a ruler, and a device for measuring time (such as a stopwatch or smartphone).

How is momentum calculated in a 2D collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In a two-dimensional collision, the momentum in the x-direction is calculated by multiplying the mass in the x-direction by the velocity in the x-direction, and the same applies for the y-direction. The total momentum in the collision can then be calculated by adding the x and y components together.

What factors affect the outcome of a 2D collision?

The outcome of a 2D collision can be affected by various factors, such as the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision).

How can the principles learned in the 2D Momentum and Collisions Lab be applied in real life?

The principles of momentum and collisions can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as car accidents, sports collisions, and even billiards. Understanding these concepts can help engineers design safer cars and athletes avoid injuries. Additionally, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is used in various fields, including rocket propulsion and space exploration.