1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared & Dirichlet Problem

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First of all, for a different problem, I have the following written down:
    [tex]\frac{\frac{{\partial{}}^2\varphi{}}{\partial{}u^2}}{{\left(\frac{\partial{}\varphi{}}{\partial{}u}\right)}^2}[/tex]
    Where phi is a function of u, which is a function of x and y. Also, u is harmonic.
    Now, I want to rewrite this in some suggestive form, if there is one.

Now, onto my other question:
    Naamloos.png
    2. Relevant equations
    Uhm, I can't really think of any at this point. Maybe the rotation matrix to rotate the strip?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Concerning the rewriting: I already thought of
    [tex]\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{}u}\left(\frac{-1}{\frac{\partial{}\varphi{}}{\partial{}u}}\right)[/tex] but I somehow want it to be a function of phi, and I don't think this qualifies as such.

Alright, and then the dirichlet problem. In my course, we haven't done any complicated PDE's yet whatsoever, so I checked with the teacher and he doesn't want a general formula, just a specific solution that works.
    For question a, I found a solution:
    (a+b)/2 - (a-b)/2 * X
    seems to satisfy the conditions given.

Now for B, I somehow need to rotate and translate and scale the strip to the same one as the first. However, I don't understand how. If I understand correctly, I need to 'move' the plane bounded by y = x and y = x + 2 to the plane bounded by x = -1 and x = 1.
    In order to use the rotation matrix, I have to make y = x and y = x + 2 into a vector first though. I don't really understand how, so it would be great if someone could give me a hint!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2
    Alright, so for b this is what I have thought of so far. I need to apply the rotation-45-degree matrix, rescale, and then shift. As I have to rescale anyway, I'll just take the matrix to be
    1 -1
    1 1

Instead of the square root two factors. However, I don't really know which points to use to find out exactly how it is done. I suppose (0,0) of the line y=x is still (0,0) after the rotation, and this just has to be shifted by 1 in the x direction. Does this mean that my transformation is just Sqrt(2)*(Rotation matrix)*original vector + a vector (1,0)?
    So then x' = x - y + 1 and y' = x + y

But how do I use this to solve the differential equation?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted