2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared & Dirichlet Problem

• Thread starter Verdict
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function phi of u, which is a function of x and y, where u is harmonic. The individual is attempting to rewrite the problem in a suggestive form and is also working on a separate question involving a rotation matrix. They have found a solution for a specific case and are now trying to solve for another case involving a rotation and translation. They are unsure of how to use the rotation matrix to solve the differential equation.
Verdict

Homework Statement

First of all, for a different problem, I have the following written down:
[tex]\frac{\frac{{\partial{}}^2\varphi{}}{\partial{}u^2}}{{\left(\frac{\partial{}\varphi{}}{\partial{}u}\right)}^2}[/tex]
Where phi is a function of u, which is a function of x and y. Also, u is harmonic.
Now, I want to rewrite this in some suggestive form, if there is one.

Now, onto my other question:
Naamloos.png

Homework Equations

Uhm, I can't really think of any at this point. Maybe the rotation matrix to rotate the strip?

The Attempt at a Solution

Concerning the rewriting: I already thought of
[tex]\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{}u}\left(\frac{-1}{\frac{\partial{}\varphi{}}{\partial{}u}}\right)[/tex] but I somehow want it to be a function of phi, and I don't think this qualifies as such.

Alright, and then the dirichlet problem. In my course, we haven't done any complicated PDE's yet whatsoever, so I checked with the teacher and he doesn't want a general formula, just a specific solution that works.
For question a, I found a solution:
(a+b)/2 - (a-b)/2 * X
seems to satisfy the conditions given.

Now for B, I somehow need to rotate and translate and scale the strip to the same one as the first. However, I don't understand how. If I understand correctly, I need to 'move' the plane bounded by y = x and y = x + 2 to the plane bounded by x = -1 and x = 1.
In order to use the rotation matrix, I have to make y = x and y = x + 2 into a vector first though. I don't really understand how, so it would be great if someone could give me a hint!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so for b this is what I have thought of so far. I need to apply the rotation-45-degree matrix, rescale, and then shift. As I have to rescale anyway, I'll just take the matrix to be
1 -1
1 1

Instead of the square root two factors. However, I don't really know which points to use to find out exactly how it is done. I suppose (0,0) of the line y=x is still (0,0) after the rotation, and this just has to be shifted by 1 in the x direction. Does this mean that my transformation is just Sqrt(2)*(Rotation matrix)*original vector + a vector (1,0)?
So then x' = x - y + 1 and y' = x + y

But how do I use this to solve the differential equation?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between the 2nd derivative and the 1st derivative squared?

The 2nd derivative refers to the rate of change of the rate of change of a function, while the 1st derivative squared refers to the square of the rate of change. Essentially, the 2nd derivative provides information about the curvature of a function, while the 1st derivative squared provides information about the steepness of a function.

2. How is the 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared used in math and science?

The 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared is commonly used in calculus, specifically in the study of optimization and curve sketching. It is also used in physics to calculate acceleration and in chemistry to determine reaction rates.

3. What is the significance of the Dirichlet Problem?

The Dirichlet Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to an equation given certain boundary conditions. It is significant because it is a fundamental problem in the field of partial differential equations and has applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science.

4. How is the 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared related to the Dirichlet Problem?

The 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared plays a crucial role in solving the Dirichlet Problem. It is used to determine the stability and regularity of the solution, as well as to establish the existence of a solution.

5. Can the 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared and Dirichlet Problem be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the concepts of 2nd derivative over 1st derivative squared and the Dirichlet Problem have many real-world applications. They are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve problems involving optimization, curve fitting, and boundary value problems.