Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order filter transfer function normalization

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    I'm looking at a guide by Texas Instruments on active filter design. In it are the following equations for a second order lowpass filter, verbatim:

The coefficient form of the denominator: [tex]s^2 + a_1s + a_0[/tex]

Normalized: [tex]P(s) = (\frac{s}{\sqrt{a_0}*\omega_c})^2 + \frac{a_1s}{a_0*\omega_c} + 1[/tex]

Substituting [tex] s = j2\pi f, \omega_c = 2\pi f_c, a_1 = \frac{1}{Q}, \sqrt{a_0} = FSF [/tex]

[tex]P(f) = -(\frac{f}{FSF*f_c})^2 + \frac{1}{Q}\frac{jf}{FSF*fc} + 1 [/tex]

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why is it that it is not FSF^2 in the second term of the last equation, if [tex]\sqrt{a_0} = FSF[/tex]?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    I made an error in the LaTeX of the first equation, I've corrected it. :redface:

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    I think I see the problem, it must be a misprint on their part. The equation should be:

[tex]P(s) = (\frac{s}{\sqrt{a_0}*\omega_c})^2 + \frac{a_1s}{\sqrt{a_0}*\omega_c} + 1[/tex]

Also remembering that [tex] \omega_c = \sqrt{a_0} [/tex] helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook