1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order homogenous differential equation

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    Solve the following for y(x);

y'' - 3y' + 2y = 0

I kind of know what to do up to a point but after that I`m stuck (bad notes and no text book!!!).

Here`s what i`ve done so far, if someone could hint as how to finish this question i should be able to do the other 9 I have.

let y = e^rx then y' = r e^rx and y''= r^2 e^rx

therefor

r^2 e^rx -3re^rx + 2e^rx = 0

or
    r^2 -3r +2 = 0

or

(r-2)(r-1)=0

i.e. r=2 and r=1

now i`m stuck!! What do i need to do to find the solution?

(sorry about the lack of latex but my pc refuses to display it! so if you could not use it i would be gratefull)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Well, as you said you proposed solutions of the form [itex]y = e^{rx}[/itex] and you found r to be 2 and 1. A lineair combination of these solutions, together with two constants, is your complete solution to the homogenous equation.

4. Mar 16, 2006 #3
    So i would have a solution something like

y= A e^2x + B e^x

How do I find A and B or is that an irrelavent question?

5. Mar 16, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Your solution is fine and you cannot determine A and B, unless there are initial or boundary conditions. For a general n-th order DE, you'll have n constants.

6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    TD thank you very much, your help is gratefully received.

7. Mar 16, 2006 #6

TD

Homework Helper

You're welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?