1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3+2 or Not?

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    I will be attending Coastal Carolina University in the fall as an applied physics major, but the school also has a 3+2 program with Clemson where I would get a Physics degree from Coastal and an Engineering degree from Clemson. My question is would it be better to do the 3+2 and then graduate school or just stay at Coastal for four years and then go to graduate school.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

eri

If you want to go to graduate school in engineering, this would be a good idea. If you want to go to grad school in physics or something else, the engineering wouldn't necessarily help you, but since Coastal has few physicists, you might want to do the last two years somewhere else anyway (like Clemson, USC, or the College of Charleston).

4. May 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks, so you think the extra year will be worth it, because I want to go to graduate school for mechanical or aerospace engineering.

5. May 17, 2010 #4

eri

In that case, I'd say yes, it would be very useful to have an engineering degree. A friend of mine did a similar program (but not with those two schools) studying physics and engineering and then did her masters at Stanford in engineering.

6. May 17, 2010 #5
    Thanks, i still need to talkto my advisor, but I think that is what I will do.

7. May 19, 2010 #6
    Would you still reccomend this if I do not go to graduate school. Would the two bachelor degrees make me more attractive to employers?

8. May 19, 2010 #7

eri

Probably, yes - I know there are more jobs out there for the engineering students graduating this year than the physics students. Many of the physics seniors going to the job fair at my university heard 'why didn't you just major in engineering?'

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook