How Do You Calculate Current and Terminal Voltage in a Mixed Battery Circuit?

In summary, there are three batteries connected in a circuit - A, B, and C. A has an EMF of 108V and internal resistance of 3Ω, while B has an EMF of 120V and internal resistance of 2Ω. The terminal of the battery is connected to battery C, which has an EMF of 30V and negligible internal resistance. The task is to find the value and direction of current in each battery and the terminal voltage of B. By using Kirchhoff's law and nodes, the student has attempted to find the terminal voltage of B but has not been successful. As a bonus question, the student was asked to calculate how long it would take for one of the
qety6321

Homework Statement

two batteries A and B are connected in pareallel. A has emf of 108V and internal resistance of 3 Ω while B has emf of 120V and internal resistance of 2Ω. The battery terminal is connected to battery C in series with a 25 resistor. Battery C has emf of 30V and negligible internal resistance.

Homework Equations

find the value and direction of current in each battery and terminal voltage of B.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling to find the current in each battery first and I have tried to find the terminal voltage of B by using Kirchhoff's law and nodes but cannot get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi qety6321. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Please attach your sketch of the circuit showing all the information given. Then show your calculations so we can see where you are going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
qety6321 said:

Homework Statement

two batteries A and B are connected in pareallel. A has emf of 108V and internal resistance of 3 Ω while B has emf of 120V and internal resistance of 2Ω. The battery terminal is connected to battery C in series with a 25 resistor. Battery C has emf of 30V and negligible internal resistance.

Homework Equations

find the value and direction of current in each battery and terminal voltage of B.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling to find the current in each battery first and I have tried to find the terminal voltage of B by using Kirchhoff's law and nodes but cannot get the right answer.

As a bonus question, calculate how long before one of the batteries catches fire...

Try drawing the EMF ups and downs separately for the batteries. Something like a ----EMF---/\/\/---- diagram. Then use appropriate math.

I would approach this problem by first calculating the total equivalent resistance of the circuit. In this case, it would be (1/3 + 1/2 + 1/25)^-1 = 5/6 Ω. This means that the total current flowing through the circuit is 30V / (5/6 Ω) = 36A.

Next, I would use Ohm's law to calculate the current in each battery. For battery A, the current would be (108V - 36A * 3 Ω) = 12A. For battery B, the current would be (120V - 36A * 2 Ω) = 12A.

To find the terminal voltage of battery B, I would use Kirchhoff's voltage law and set up an equation: 30V - 12A * 25 Ω - (120V - 36A * 2 Ω) = 0. Solving for the terminal voltage of B, I get 120V. This means that the direction of current in battery B is from positive to negative, as expected.

In summary, the current in each battery is 12A, and the terminal voltage of battery B is 120V. This means that battery B is supplying more current to the circuit than battery A, which is expected due to its higher emf.

What is the purpose of connecting 3 batteries in parallel?

Connecting 3 batteries in parallel increases the overall capacity of the battery bank, allowing for longer usage time without needing to recharge.

How do I connect 3 batteries in parallel?

To connect 3 batteries in parallel, connect the positive terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of another battery, and then connect the remaining positive terminal to the positive terminal of the third battery. Repeat this process with the negative terminals, creating a chain-like connection.

What are the advantages of using 3 batteries in parallel instead of a single battery?

Using 3 batteries in parallel increases the overall capacity of the battery bank, allowing for longer usage time without needing to recharge. It also distributes the load evenly among the batteries, prolonging their lifespan.

What are the potential risks of connecting 3 batteries in parallel?

If the batteries are not of the same brand, age, or type, they may have different charging and discharging rates, which can lead to imbalances and cause damage to the batteries. It is important to use identical batteries when connecting them in parallel.

Can I mix different types of batteries when connecting 3 batteries in parallel?

It is not recommended to mix different types of batteries when connecting them in parallel. Different types of batteries have different charging and discharging rates, which can cause imbalances and potentially damage the batteries. It is best to use identical batteries when connecting them in parallel.