3 phase system electrical question

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a current going through a matrix and finding the values for the currents. The conversation covered the steps to solve the problem, including calculating the determinant and using Cramer's rule. The final solution involved solving for the mesh currents and then using those values to find the branch currents.
darwinharianto

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/question-jpg.73386/ the current go from a A N and n
the 2nd current go from b B N and n

the first thing, i make the matrix
27-4j -3 i1 230 <0
-3 27-4j x i2 = 230<0

x means the matrix multiplied to the next
< means the degree
then with determinant from the first matrix
i find 767.04 <16.35

then to find i
i1 = 230<0 /767.04<16.35 27-4j -3 1
i2 x -3 27-4j x 1

is this right?
how to count 230<0 / 767.04<16.35
i don't understand

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
the first thing, i make the matrix
27-4j -3 i1 230 <0
-3 27-4j x i2 = 230<0

x means the matrix multiplied to the next
< means the degree
then with determinant from the first matrix
i find 767.04 <16.35

then to find i
i1 = 230<0 /767.04<16.35 27-4j -3 1
i2 x -3 27-4j x 1

is this right?
how to count 230<0 / 767.04<16.35
i don't understand

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your matrix looks okay (although its formatting has been punished by the font!), but your solution doesn't look correct. Here it is rendered with LaTeX:

$$\left( \begin{array}{cc} {27 - j4} & -3 \\ -3 & {27 - j4} \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} I1 \\ I2 \end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{c} 230 \\ 230 \end{array} \right)$$

Can you check your determinant calculation? I see different magnitude and angle values.

gneill said:
Your matrix looks okay (although its formatting has been punished by the font!), but your solution doesn't look correct. Here it is rendered with LaTeX:

$$\left( \begin{array}{cc} {27 - j4} & -3 \\ -3 & {27 - j4} \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} I1 \\ I2 \end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{c} 230 \\ 230 \end{array} \right)$$

Can you check your determinant calculation? I see different magnitude and angle values.
sorry about that :D
and thank you for the matrix format and the reply

the determinan is 704-j216?
so it means 736.39 with -17.05 degree?

so the matrix go like this?
$$\left( \begin{array}{c} I1 \\ I2 \end{array} \right) = 230<0 / 736.39 < -17.05
\left( \begin{array}{cc} 27-j4 & -3 \\ -3 & 27-j4 \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)$$

what is that $$\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)$$ mean?
i get the formula from the ppt but i still don't understand why it is there
and i don't understand how to calculate 230<0 / 736.39 < -17.05 manually

darwinharianto said:
sorry about that :D
and thank you for the matrix format and the reply

the determinan is 704-j216?
so it means 736.39 with -17.05 degree?
Yes, that's the correct value for the determinant.
so the matrix go like this?
$$\left( \begin{array}{c} I1 \\ I2 \end{array} \right) = 230<0 / 736.39 < -17.05
\left( \begin{array}{cc} 27-j4 & -3 \\ -3 & 27-j4 \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)$$

what is that $$\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)$$ mean?
i get the formula from the ppt but i still don't understand why it is there
I'm not sure. I haven't seen that particular method used before. The ##\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)## is a column vector. I presume that it's meant to be multiplied with the impedance matrix in order to yield a new column vector. That would make sense since there's a column vector to the left of the equals also. But I don't see how that equation is meant to solve for the currents.

I would use Cramer's Rule to solve the problem (look it up). It uses determinants, and you've already got the value of one of them.
and i don't understand how to calculate 230<0 / 736.39 < -17.05 manually
That's just division of one complex number by another.

gneill said:
Yes, that's the correct value for the determinant.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen that particular method used before. The ##\left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)## is a column vector. I presume that it's meant to be multiplied with the impedance matrix in order to yield a new column vector. That would make sense since there's a column vector to the left of the equals also. But I don't see how that equation is meant to solve for the currents.

I would use Cramer's Rule to solve the problem (look it up). It uses determinants, and you've already got the value of one of them.

That's just division of one complex number by another.
OIC
it is just an inverse
moved the left 1st matrix to the right side
then it make i1 = 7.59< 0.31
and i2 = 7.59<0.31
is this right?
then IaA = I1
InN = -(I1+I2)
IbB = I2

darwinharianto said:
OIC
Please don't use text-speak abbreviations here on PF. They're not allowed.
it is just an inverse
moved the left 1st matrix to the right side
then it make i1 = 7.59< 0.31
and i2 = 7.59<0.31
is this right?
It doesn't work for me; I can't see how that math could be correct. If I wanted to "move" the impedance matrix from the left side to the right side of the equation, I'd pre-multiply both sides with the inverse of the matrix. But then what is moved to the right side would be the inverse, not the original matrix. Take a generic equation of this type; let I be the unknown current column vector, V the known voltage column vector, and Z the impedance matrix. The equation is written:

##Z \; I = V##
##Z^{-1}Z \; I = Z^{-1}V##
##I = Z^{-1}V##

The problem I have with the equation that you've quoted is that I don't see the inverse of the impedance matrix coming about by simply dividing the matrix by its determinant. What you'd want is to use Cramer's rule which divides the adjoint matrix by the determinant, and solve for the I's individually.
then IaA = I1
InN = -(I1+I2)
IbB = I2
Yes, once you've solved for the mesh currents then then branch currents are obtained as you've shown.

gneill said:
Please don't use text-speak abbreviations here on PF. They're not allowed.

It doesn't work for me; I can't see how that math could be correct. If I wanted to "move" the impedance matrix from the left side to the right side of the equation, I'd pre-multiply both sides with the inverse of the matrix. But then what is moved to the right side would be the inverse, not the original matrix. Take a generic equation of this type; let I be the unknown current column vector, V the known voltage column vector, and Z the impedance matrix. The equation is written:

##Z \; I = V##
##Z^{-1}Z \; I = Z^{-1}V##
##I = Z^{-1}V##

The problem I have with the equation that you've quoted is that I don't see the inverse of the impedance matrix coming about by simply dividing the matrix by its determinant. What you'd want is to use Cramer's rule which divides the adjoint matrix by the determinant, and solve for the I's individually.

Yes, once you've solved for the mesh currents then then branch currents are obtained as you've shown.

sorry about that
and thanks for replying

okay
and the result is I1 = 9.44<9.45 and I1=I2 or I1=9.31+J1.55
is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

darwinharianto said:
sorry about that
and thanks for replying

okay
and the result is I1 = 9.44<9.45 and I1=I2 or I1=9.31+J1.55
is this correct?
and for the phasor diagram just draw a line with 9.44 and 9.45 degrees right?

darwinharianto said:
and for the phasor diagram just draw a line with 9.44 and 9.45 degrees right?
Presumably you'll want to show the source voltage phasors along with the phasors for all the currents that you were asked to find.

gneill said:
Presumably you'll want to show the source voltage phasors along with the phasors for all the currents that you were asked to find.
oohhh
so there will be 3 line
thx a lot

1. What is a 3 phase system in electrical engineering?

A 3 phase system in electrical engineering is a type of power distribution system that uses three alternating currents with the same frequency but with a phase difference of 120 degrees. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings due to its efficiency and ability to handle high power loads.

2. How does a 3 phase system differ from a single phase system?

In a single phase system, there is only one alternating current, while in a 3 phase system, there are three alternating currents. This allows for a more balanced distribution of power and reduces the strain on individual components, making it more efficient for high power applications.

3. What are the advantages of using a 3 phase system?

The main advantages of a 3 phase system are its efficiency, ability to handle high power loads, and balanced distribution of power. It also allows for smaller and more cost-effective components, resulting in lower installation and maintenance costs.

4. How is power calculated in a 3 phase system?

In a 3 phase system, power is calculated using the formula P = √3 × V × I × cosθ, where P is power in watts, V is the line voltage, I is the line current, and cosθ is the power factor. This formula takes into account the three phases and their phase difference.

5. What are the common applications of a 3 phase system?

A 3 phase system is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for applications such as large motors, pumps, compressors, and other high-power equipment. It is also used in power generation and distribution, as well as in some residential settings for heavy-duty appliances such as air conditioners and ovens.