Calculating Electric Field and Flux Density - Point Charges Homework Solution

In summary, the electric field strength and electric flux density were calculated at a specific point (1, -1, 3) using the given point charges and their locations. For part b, it is suggested to double-check the calculations and use the equation Φ = ∫∫∫ D · dA to find the total flux passing through a sphere of radius 2.5 centered at the origin.
batman2020

Homework Statement

Point charges of 12x10-6, -7x10-6 and 4x10-6 are located at (2,0,-1), (1,1,2) and (2,-1,2).

a. Determine D(flux density) and E(electric field strength) at (1, -1, 3).

b. What is the flux passing through the sphere of radius of 2.5 centered on the origin

Homework Equations

E=The sum of[(Q/4(pi)(epsilson))x(the unit vector between E and the point)]

D=The sum of[(Q/4(pi)(r^2))x(the unit vector between D and the point)]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I found the electric field due to each point at (1, -1, 3) and I got the answer of
E=11.9x103ax+19.17x103ay+29.35x103az N/C

I did the same with D except multiplied across by epsilon and divided by r^2 and I got
D=(0.105x10-6ax+0.168x10-6ay+0.2599x10-6az)/r^2

b. I just substituted r into the answer I got for D and got
D=1.68x10-8ax+2.688x10-8ay+4.1584x10-8az

I was just wondering if somebody could confirm if these answers are right or wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your calculations for part a seem to be correct, as they align with the given point charges and their locations. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations for part b. The flux passing through a sphere of radius 2.5 centered at the origin can be found using the equation:

Φ = ∫∫∫ D · dA

Where D is the electric flux density and dA is the differential area element. You can use the formula you provided for D in your solution and integrate over the surface of the sphere to find the total flux passing through it. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the electric field of a point charge?

In order to calculate the electric field of a point charge, you will need to use the formula E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m²/C²), Q is the charge of the point charge in Coulombs, and r is the distance from the point charge in meters. This formula assumes that the point charge is a source of the electric field and that the surrounding medium is a vacuum.

2. What is the difference between electric field and flux density?

Electric field (E) is a vector quantity that describes the force that a charged particle would experience at a given point in space. It is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C). Flux density (D) is a vector quantity that describes the density of electric flux through a given area. It is measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m²). In simpler terms, electric field describes the strength of the electric force while flux density describes the amount of electric flux present.

3. How do you calculate the flux density of a point charge?

The formula for calculating the flux density (D) of a point charge is D = Q/4πr², where Q is the charge of the point charge in Coulombs and r is the distance from the point charge in meters. This formula assumes that the point charge is a source of the electric field and that the surrounding medium is a vacuum.

4. Can the electric field and flux density at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric field and flux density at a point can be negative. This indicates the direction of the force or flux, which can be either towards or away from the point charge, depending on the sign of the charge. A negative value indicates a force or flux in the opposite direction of a positive value.

5. How is the superposition principle used in calculating electric field and flux density?

The superposition principle states that the total electric field or flux density at a point due to multiple point charges is the vector sum of the individual electric fields or flux densities at that point. This means that to calculate the total electric field or flux density at a point, we can simply add up the contributions from each individual point charge using the respective formulas mentioned above. This principle is particularly useful when dealing with complex systems of charges.