Solving Vector Problems: Vector A, B and C

• Thread starter chocolatelover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, vector D=vector A+vector B+vector C. The magnitude and direction of vector D are undefined, but it is close to 180.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

Vector A=(0i+3j), vector B=(8i+-1j), vector C=(-8i+5j) Use the component method to determine the following:

1. the magnitude and direction of Vector D=Vector A+vector B+vector C
2. vectorE=-A-B+C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. magnitude D=A+B+C=square root (0+8+-8)^2+(3+-1+5)^2=9
direction=tan-1(3-1+5/0+8-8) this won't work because I am dividing by zero, but I'm not sure what it would be.

2. Magnitude -A-B+C=square root (-0-8+-8)^2+(-3--1+5)^2=2.65

direction=tan-1(3+-1+5/0+8-8)=undefined

Could someone please show me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a quick check of your first answer, but it's wrong. You need to recheck your math.

For the i's (0+8-8) = 0
For the j's (3-1+5) = 7

So the magnitude of A+B+C = 7

Now, since the i's represent the x value, and the j's represent the y value, what do you know about the angle that has an x value of 0, and a y value of 7?

Thank you very much

Wouldn't the angle just be 90 degrees? Could you show me what I did wrong with the subtraction one?

Thank you

Yes, your angle would just be 90 degrees, or the positive y axis.

For the second problem, I think you're just working too fast.

For the i's (-0-8-8) = -16
For the j's (-3--1+5) = 3

So the magnitude is [tex]\sqrt{(-16)^2 + 3^2}[/tex]
which equals 16.28

I'm going to let you figure out the angle. Just be careful about where it is, because the i value is negative, and the j value is positive.

Thank you very much

Is it tan-1(3+1+5/-0-8-8)=-29.4

180-29.4=150.6?

Thank you

chocolatelover said:
Is it tan-1(3+1+5/-0-8-8)=-29.4

180-29.4=150.6?

Thank you

Not quite, but close. Be careful with the negative signs. The 3 on should be negative, so it's tan-1(3/-16) etc.

Thank you very much

Does this look correct?

tan-1(3-1-5/-0-8-8)
=10.62

Do I then need to subtract it from 180?

180-10.62=

Thank you

chocolatelover said:
Do I then need to subtract it from 180?

180-10.62=
Thank you

If you want to show the angle from the x axis, then yes, subtract it from 180. And the answer looks good to me.

You're very welcome.

Thank you very much again

Regards

1. What are vectors A, B, and C in vector problems?

Vectors A, B, and C are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In vector problems, they represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you add or subtract vectors A, B, and C?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can use the head-to-tail method, where you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector. The resulting vector connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector is the sum or difference of the two vectors.

3. What is the dot product of vectors A, B, and C?

The dot product of vectors A and B is a scalar quantity that represents the magnitude of vector A multiplied by the magnitude of vector B multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the work done by a force, among other applications.

4. How do you find the magnitude and direction of vectors A, B, and C?

The magnitude of a vector is its length, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The direction of a vector can be determined by finding the angle it makes with a reference axis. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving vector problems?

Solving vector problems is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the forces acting on objects, determine the direction and magnitude of motion, and design structures that can withstand different types of forces. It is also crucial in navigation systems, such as GPS, which use vectors to determine position and velocity.