3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit

In summary, the radial probability density is a function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain distance from the origin in spherical coordinates. It is represented by the square of the normalized wavefunction, |ψ(x)|2, multiplied by an additional factor of r2. This factor comes from the integration of a function over a volume in spherical coordinates, where the sin(θ)dθdø goes into the angular function and the r2dr goes into the radial function. Therefore, the probability can be calculated by integrating the wavefunction over r2 and the solid angle.
unscientific

Homework Statement

I found this in Binney's text, pg 154 where he described the radial probability density ##P_{(r)} \propto r^2 u_L##

rwi5o8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't the radial probability density simply the square of the normalized wavefunction, |ψ(x)|2? Why is there an additional factor of r2?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you integrate a function over a volume in spherical co-ordinates you integrate over r2sin(θ)drdθdø . The sin(θ)dθdø goes into the angular function and the r2dr into the radial function. I believe this is where it comes from.

Likes 1 person
BOYLANATOR said:
When you integrate a function over a volume in spherical co-ordinates you integrate over r2sin(θ)drdθdø . The sin(θ)dθdø goes into the angular function and the r2dr into the radial function. I believe this is where it comes from.
Probability = ##<\psi|\psi> = \int \psi^*\psi d^3r = \int \psi^*\psi r^2 dr d\Omega##

Where the wavefunction corresponding to the ket ##|\psi>## is ##u_L Y_l^m##

I think that's right.

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Probability = ##<\psi|\psi> = \int \psi^*\psi d^3r = \int \psi^*\psi r^2 dr d\Omega##

Where the wavefunction corresponding to the ket ##|\psi>## is ##u_L Y_l^m##

I think that's right.

Correct.

I would like to clarify that the radial probability density for a 3D harmonic oscillator in a circular orbit is not just the square of the normalized wavefunction, but also includes an additional factor of r^2. This is due to the fact that the wavefunction for a 3D harmonic oscillator is a product of three 1D harmonic oscillator wavefunctions, each of which has an additional factor of r^2 in its radial component. Therefore, when combining all three dimensions, the radial probability density also includes this factor. This is important to note, as it affects the overall shape and behavior of the probability density in a 3D harmonic oscillator system.

1. What is a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit?

A 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a central point, while also oscillating back and forth along that path.

2. What causes a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit?

The circular motion in a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit is caused by a centripetal force, while the oscillation is caused by a restoring force that pulls the object back to its original position.

3. What are the properties of a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit?

The properties of a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit include a constant speed along the circular path, a periodic motion with a specific frequency, and a specific amplitude of oscillation.

4. How is a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit different from a 2D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit?

A 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit differs from a 2D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit in that it has an additional degree of freedom, allowing the object to move in three dimensions instead of just two.

5. What are some real-life examples of a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit?

Some real-life examples of a 3D Harmonic Oscillator Circular Orbit include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth.