3D Model of the 2MASS Redshift Survey

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a 3D model of data from the 2MASS survey and the difficulties in creating one due to the lack of accurate distance measurements for all objects. However, the conversation ends with the discovery of a website that provides a program to view a 3D model of over 400,000 galaxies in their database. The program is noted to be hardware demanding.
Vorde
Does anyone know of a 3D model of the data from the 2MASS Survey? I have to imagine it would be incredibly easy to code, but I haven't found one.

Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is not so very easy to code, as people have a hard time getting distances to all the objects right.

It may just be me talking without really knowing what I'm talking about and sounding like an idiot. But couldn't you have a 3D space with all coordinates in polar form, the distance from the center (us) would be an arbitrary number but scaled by redshift and the degrees x/y specified by the position on the 2D plot?

Hi,

You would be completely right if we would have a good measure of the redshift/distance/(any other measure of the distance to us) for all objects. For some galaxies we do, for some we don't and for objects in the Milky Way these are absent (and do not correspond to distance, but only to relative velocity if present). I think that is the main reason this does not exist. For the spectroscopic sample of SDSS, for example, we do have redshifts for many objects. There are movies available of this 3D map on youtube and elsewhere on the web.

Cheers, Harcel

Thank you, that makes sense to me.

Just as an update to this, by complete chance I stumbled upon a website that did just what I was looking for, including the program to view a 3D model of all the galaxies in their database (400,000+). Here's the link to the page, scroll down and you will see a download link:

http://astro.uchicago.edu/cosmus/projects/sloangalaxies/

As a note, the program is super hardware demanding, I have a quad core i7 and 8 gig of RAM and it is very stuttery for me.

1. What is the 2MASS Redshift Survey?

The 2MASS Redshift Survey is a massive 3D map of the universe, created using data from the Two Micron All-Sky Survey (2MASS) and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS). It contains over a million galaxies and provides valuable information about the distribution and structure of matter in the universe.

2. How was the 3D model of the 2MASS Redshift Survey created?

The 3D model was created using a technique called "photometric redshift," which measures the distance to galaxies based on their colors. This data was then combined with spectroscopic redshift measurements from the SDSS to create a more accurate and detailed representation of the universe.

3. What can we learn from the 3D model of the 2MASS Redshift Survey?

The 3D model provides insights into the large-scale structure of the universe, including the distribution of galaxies and clusters, as well as the overall expansion and evolution of the universe. It can also help us understand the effects of dark matter and dark energy on the formation and growth of galaxies.

4. How is the 3D model of the 2MASS Redshift Survey useful for scientific research?

The 3D model is a valuable tool for studying the properties and behavior of galaxies, as well as for testing theories of cosmology and the nature of the universe. It can also aid in the search for new objects and phenomena, such as quasars and gravitational lenses.

5. What are the potential applications of the 3D model of the 2MASS Redshift Survey?

The 3D model has a wide range of potential applications, including improving our understanding of the origins of the universe, aiding in the development of new cosmological models, and providing insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. It can also be used to guide future telescope observations and inform the design of future space missions.