3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R)

In summary, the Poincare algebra is given by isl(2,R) ~ sl(2,R) + R^3. The i in ##isl(2,\mathbb{R})## stands for the determinant of the matrix that represents the geometry. The notation ##sl_2 + \mathbb{R}^3## simply means the sum of the special linear algebra sl(2, R) and R^3. The Poincaré algebra is six dimensional.
bob2
The Poincare algebra is given by isl(2, R) ~ sl(2,R) + R^3. What exactly does the i stand for?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen a notation ##isl(2,\mathbb{R})##. Can you give some more background? And what does ##sl_2 + \mathbb{R}^3## mean? And as far as I know, the Poincaré algebra is ten dimensional.

fresh_42 said:
I have never seen a notation ##isl(2,\mathbb{R})##. Can you give some more background? And what does ##sl_2 + \mathbb{R}^3## mean? And as far as I know, the Poincaré algebra is ten dimensional.
I'm sorry, my statement was incorrect. You are right about the Poincare algebra. I meant the Poincare algebra in 3dim (not 4dim) space and not the dimension of the Lie algebra. by sl(2,R) + R^3 the direct sum of the special linear algebra sl(2, R) and R^3 is denoted

bob2 said:
I'm sorry, my statement was incorrect. You are right about the Poincare algebra. I meant the Poincare algebra in 3dim (not 4dim) space and not the dimension of the Lie algebra. by sl(2,R) + R^3 the direct sum of the special linear algebra sl(2, R) and R^3 is denoted
In this case my question is: ##sl(2,\mathbb{R}) \oplus \mathbb{R}^3## as a Lie algebra or simply the vector space? I assume ##isl(2,\mathbb{R})## is simply an abbreviation the author of your source uses for this (presumably Lie algebra) sum. And I further assume that it is not a direct product, but an indirect, i.e. I suppose ##sl(2,\mathbb{R})## to act non-trivially on ##\mathbb{R}^3##.
If you can write down this action, you will get the multiplications in it.
And by the way, this one is six dimensional.

Let me make another guess. ##sl(2,\mathbb{R}) ## might formerly have been ##o(2,1)## which (I don't know without proving it) is isomorphic to ##sl_2##. So if you consider Lorentz transformations plus translations on ##\mathbb{R}^3 \cong \mathbb{R}^{2,1}## and call this algebra ##isl_2##, then it makes sense to write ##isl_2 \cong sl_2 \ltimes \mathbb{R}^3## or sloppy ##isl_2 \text{ ~ } sl_2 + \mathbb{R}^3##

Last edited:
sl(2,R) as I remember is isomorphic to so(2,1). Thanks so much for your reply- this way of interpreting it makes sense. Sorry, that I am replying so late- I thought I had already replied

What is 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R)?

The 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetries of spacetime in three dimensions. It combines the Poincare group, which describes the symmetries of special relativity, with the special linear group in two dimensions (isl(2,R)). This algebra is important in theoretical physics for understanding the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space.

What are the components of 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R)?

The components of 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) are the generators of translations, rotations, and boosts in three-dimensional space, as well as the generators of special linear transformations in two dimensions. These components, when combined, form a Lie algebra with specific commutation relations that describe the symmetries of spacetime.

How is 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) used in physics?

3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) is used in theoretical physics to describe the symmetries of spacetime in three dimensions. This algebra is essential for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in three-dimensional space, and it is also used in the study of quantum field theories and string theory.

What is the significance of the special linear group isl(2,R) in 3dim Poincare Algebra?

The special linear group isl(2,R) plays a crucial role in 3dim Poincare Algebra as it represents the symmetries of two-dimensional space. This group is important in describing the behavior of particles and fields in two dimensions, and when combined with the Poincare group, it forms a complete description of the symmetries of spacetime in three dimensions.

Are there any applications of 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) outside of theoretical physics?

While 3dim Poincare Algebra - isl(2,R) is primarily used in theoretical physics, it also has applications in other fields such as mathematics and engineering. This algebra is used in the study of Lie algebras and their representations, as well as in the development of geometric control systems and robotics. It also has applications in computer graphics and computer vision.