3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation-how to write the answer

In summary: Is my solution to this ODE x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2- 7x_3. if so why did I need matrices and what use is that?? I also forgot the final bit of the question.Question:Transform this 3rd order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients using matrix notation.You "need" the matrix equations because that was what the problem told you to do! So, in summary, you need to use matrix notation to solve this 3rd order homogeneous linear ODE.
pat666
3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation---how to write the answer

Homework Statement

Transform this 3rd order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients using matrix notation.
[tex]
y'''+7y''+6y'+3y=0
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is
[tex]x'=AX[/tex]
[tex]x=[x_1,x_2,x_3]^T [/tex]
[tex]A=Mat[[1,0,0][0,1,0][-7,-6,-3]] [/tex]

x'=
(x_1)
(x_2)
(-7x_1-6x_2-3x_3)

My question is do I leave in this form and also is it correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

i would strongly advise you to write out precisely what substitutions you are making. It will make it much easier for all, including yourself, to see what you are doing and whether or not it is correct (not to mention shock and amaze your teacher!).

You appear to be saying that
[tex]x= \begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\\ x_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
where
[itex]x_1= y[/itex], [itex]x_2= y'[/itex], and [itex]x_3= y''[/itex].

Then the given equation becomes [itex]x_3'+ 7x_3+ 6x_2+ 3x_1= 0[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2- 7x_3[/itex].
Of course, you also have [itex]x_1'= x_2[/itex] and [itex]x_2'= x_3[/itex] so your equation, in matrix form, is
[tex]x'= \begin{bmatrix}x_1' \\ x_2' \\ x_3'\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ -3 & -6 & -7\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

which is, I believe, what you have.

Yes that's exactly what I meant. Sorry for the illegible post, I didn't know the LaTex for Matrices. How would you advice me to write the answer? I have posted what your final matrix equation comes out to: 3rd row: [tex]-7x_1-6x_2-3x_3 [/tex]
which I think would go back to [tex] y=-7y-6y'-3y''[/tex]?Thanks

Hi again HallsofIvy, one simple question, Is my solution to this ODE [itex]
x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2- 7x_3
[/itex]. if so why did I need matrices and what use is that?? I also forgot the final bit of the question.
Question:
Transform this 3rd order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients using matrix notation.
ODE
into a system of first oder ODE's.

Have I done this?

Thanks

pat666 said:
Hi again HallsofIvy, one simple question, Is my solution to this ODE [itex]
x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2- 7x_3
[/itex]. if so why did I need matrices and what use is that?? I also forgot the final bit of the question.
Question:
ODE
into a system of first oder ODE's.

Have I done this?

Thanks
First, that's not a solution to the differential equation though it is a (partial) solution to the question asked. However, just saying "[itex]x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2- 7x_3[/itex]" is not the entire solution because it does not give the important equations for [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex].

You "need" the matrix equations because that was what the problem told you to do!

Yes, converting to a system of first order equations would be: [itex]x_1'= x_2[/itex], [itex]x_2'= x_3[/itex], and [itex]x_3'= -3x_1- 6x_2-7x_3[/itex].

So I was not actually looking for a "solution" to this ODE?

Thanks HoI

1. What is a 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation?

A 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation is a mathematical concept used to solve a system of three linear ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with constant coefficients. It involves transforming the system into a matrix form and then using techniques such as eigenvalue decomposition to solve for the solution.

2. What is the process for writing the solution to a 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation?

The process for writing the solution to a 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODE matrix transformation involves several steps:

1. Transform the system of ODEs into a matrix form
  2. Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix
  3. Use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors to construct the general solution
  4. Apply initial conditions to determine the specific solution for a given system

3. What are the benefits of using matrix transformation to solve 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODEs?

Using matrix transformation to solve 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODEs has several benefits, including:

1. It allows for the use of linear algebra techniques, which can simplify the solution process
  2. It can be used to solve systems of ODEs with complex coefficients
  3. It provides a general solution that can be applied to a variety of initial conditions

4. Are there any limitations to using matrix transformation for 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODEs?

While matrix transformation can be a useful tool for solving 3rd order homogeneous Linear ODEs, it does have some limitations, including:

1. It can only be used for linear systems with constant coefficients
  2. It may not be able to provide a solution for all initial conditions
  3. It can be a time-consuming process for more complex systems

5. Can matrix transformation be applied to higher-order homogeneous Linear ODEs?

Yes, matrix transformation can be applied to higher-order homogeneous Linear ODEs. The process is similar to that of 3rd order homogeneous systems, but it becomes more complex as the order of the system increases. It may also require the use of more advanced linear algebra techniques.