Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 3rd root of a complex number

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the solution to [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    If [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] were to equal (a + bi) for some real numbers a and b then [tex]2 - 11i = a^3 +3a^2bi-3ab^2-b^3i[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From above [tex]a^3-3ab^2 = 2[/tex] and [tex]3a^2b - b^3 = -11[/tex]
    I can factorise (but only slightly) as follows:
    [tex]a(a^2-b^2) = 2 + 2ab^2[/tex]
    [tex]b(a^2-b^2) = -11 - 2a^2b[/tex]

after losing the a^2-b^2 I'm left with [tex]2b + 2ab^3 = -11a - 2a^3b[/tex] and I can see no other useful factorisations or substitutions :(

The actual values I need to find here are simple and with not so much guess work found that a = 2 and b = -1. My problem is that I'm not so sure that guess-work is the correct method to be using. I could probably plot both functions and find where there is a point of intersection but is there an algebraic method I can employ?...If so can anyone throw me any pointers?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

it appears to me that you were trying to express [tex]2-11i[/tex] as a perfect cube [tex](a+ib)^3[/tex] and want to find [tex]a,b[/tex].

firstly, note that since you are taking a cube root, there will be THREE answers (possibly all complex). The "proper" way to do this is to turn your number [tex]2-11i[/tex] into "polar form" or "exponential form"
    [tex]x+iy \rightarrow r e^{i\theta}[/tex]
    where [tex]r=|x+iy|[/tex] absolute value and [tex]\theta=\text{Arg}(x+iy)[/tex]

you may now evaluate
    [tex](2-11i)^{1/3} = r^{1/3} e^{i\theta/3}[/tex]

note you get three answers because
    [tex]\text{Arg}(x+iy) +2n\pi[/tex] is also a valid angle where [tex]n=1,2,\ldots[/tex]
    in this case [tex]\theta/3[/tex] should give you "three" valid angles lie in the range [tex]\left(-\pi,\pi\right][/tex]

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3
    cheers for that mjsd...the book I'm using introduces polar co-ordinates and argand diagrams in the next chapter, (though unfortunately for me, later than the question) I'll return to this question at a later date :smile:

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4
    I think the book is just showing you how much easier these problems become later - the answer to "why do I need to learn a new way to do something I already can do." I love the look on students' faces when I teach them a neat trick that knocks 5 minutes off a 6 minute problem.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I havent done polar forms either, but im assuming that the method you just described employs Eulers Formula?

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6

mjsd

Homework Helper

yes: [tex]e^{ix}=\cos x +i \sin x[/tex]

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup Im familiar with the formula :) Truly a miraculous formula, when I tell people about it they wonder what possible use it could have beyond its beauty, and heres just one example.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook