1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd root of a complex number

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the solution to [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    If [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] were to equal (a + bi) for some real numbers a and b then [tex]2 - 11i = a^3 +3a^2bi-3ab^2-b^3i[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From above [tex]a^3-3ab^2 = 2[/tex] and [tex]3a^2b - b^3 = -11[/tex]
    I can factorise (but only slightly) as follows:
    [tex]a(a^2-b^2) = 2 + 2ab^2[/tex]
    [tex]b(a^2-b^2) = -11 - 2a^2b[/tex]

after losing the a^2-b^2 I'm left with [tex]2b + 2ab^3 = -11a - 2a^3b[/tex] and I can see no other useful factorisations or substitutions :(

The actual values I need to find here are simple and with not so much guess work found that a = 2 and b = -1. My problem is that I'm not so sure that guess-work is the correct method to be using. I could probably plot both functions and find where there is a point of intersection but is there an algebraic method I can employ?...If so can anyone throw me any pointers?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

it appears to me that you were trying to express [tex]2-11i[/tex] as a perfect cube [tex](a+ib)^3[/tex] and want to find [tex]a,b[/tex].

firstly, note that since you are taking a cube root, there will be THREE answers (possibly all complex). The "proper" way to do this is to turn your number [tex]2-11i[/tex] into "polar form" or "exponential form"
    [tex]x+iy \rightarrow r e^{i\theta}[/tex]
    where [tex]r=|x+iy|[/tex] absolute value and [tex]\theta=\text{Arg}(x+iy)[/tex]

you may now evaluate
    [tex](2-11i)^{1/3} = r^{1/3} e^{i\theta/3}[/tex]

note you get three answers because
    [tex]\text{Arg}(x+iy) +2n\pi[/tex] is also a valid angle where [tex]n=1,2,\ldots[/tex]
    in this case [tex]\theta/3[/tex] should give you "three" valid angles lie in the range [tex]\left(-\pi,\pi\right][/tex]

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3
    cheers for that mjsd...the book I'm using introduces polar co-ordinates and argand diagrams in the next chapter, (though unfortunately for me, later than the question) I'll return to this question at a later date :smile:

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4
    I think the book is just showing you how much easier these problems become later - the answer to "why do I need to learn a new way to do something I already can do." I love the look on students' faces when I teach them a neat trick that knocks 5 minutes off a 6 minute problem.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I havent done polar forms either, but im assuming that the method you just described employs Eulers Formula?

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6

mjsd

Homework Helper

yes: [tex]e^{ix}=\cos x +i \sin x[/tex]

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup Im familiar with the formula :) Truly a miraculous formula, when I tell people about it they wonder what possible use it could have beyond its beauty, and heres just one example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?