What is the solution to (2-11i)^(1/3)?

In summary, the 3rd root of a complex number is a number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original complex number. It can be found by using the polar form of the complex number and applying De Moivre's theorem. The 3rd root can be a complex number or a real number depending on the argument of the complex number. There are three possible 3rd roots of a complex number, each corresponding to a distinct cube root of unity. The 3rd root and its conjugate have the same magnitude but opposite arguments, making them reflections of each other across the real axis.
GregA

Homework Statement

I need to find the solution to [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

If [tex](2-11i)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] were to equal (a + bi) for some real numbers a and b then [tex]2 - 11i = a^3 +3a^2bi-3ab^2-b^3i[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From above [tex]a^3-3ab^2 = 2[/tex] and [tex]3a^2b - b^3 = -11[/tex]
I can factorise (but only slightly) as follows:
[tex]a(a^2-b^2) = 2 + 2ab^2[/tex]
[tex]b(a^2-b^2) = -11 - 2a^2b[/tex]

after losing the a^2-b^2 I'm left with [tex]2b + 2ab^3 = -11a - 2a^3b[/tex] and I can see no other useful factorisations or substitutions :(

The actual values I need to find here are simple and with not so much guess work found that a = 2 and b = -1. My problem is that I'm not so sure that guess-work is the correct method to be using. I could probably plot both functions and find where there is a point of intersection but is there an algebraic method I can employ?...If so can anyone throw me any pointers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it appears to me that you were trying to express [tex]2-11i[/tex] as a perfect cube [tex](a+ib)^3[/tex] and want to find [tex]a,b[/tex].

firstly, note that since you are taking a cube root, there will be THREE answers (possibly all complex). The "proper" way to do this is to turn your number [tex]2-11i[/tex] into "polar form" or "exponential form"
[tex]x+iy \rightarrow r e^{i\theta}[/tex]
where [tex]r=|x+iy|[/tex] absolute value and [tex]\theta=\text{Arg}(x+iy)[/tex]

you may now evaluate
[tex](2-11i)^{1/3} = r^{1/3} e^{i\theta/3}[/tex]

note you get three answers because
[tex]\text{Arg}(x+iy) +2n\pi[/tex] is also a valid angle where [tex]n=1,2,\ldots[/tex]
in this case [tex]\theta/3[/tex] should give you "three" valid angles lie in the range [tex]\left(-\pi,\pi\right][/tex]

cheers for that mjsd...the book I'm using introduces polar co-ordinates and argand diagrams in the next chapter, (though unfortunately for me, later than the question) I'll return to this question at a later date :smile:

I think the book is just showing you how much easier these problems become later - the answer to "why do I need to learn a new way to do something I already can do." I love the look on students' faces when I teach them a neat trick that knocks 5 minutes off a 6 minute problem.

I haven't done polar forms either, but I am assuming that the method you just described employs Eulers Formula?

Gib Z said:
I haven't done polar forms either, but I am assuming that the method you just described employs Eulers Formula?
yes: [tex]e^{ix}=\cos x +i \sin x[/tex]

Yup I am familiar with the formula :) Truly a miraculous formula, when I tell people about it they wonder what possible use it could have beyond its beauty, and here's just one example.

What is the 3rd root of a complex number?

The 3rd root of a complex number is a number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives the original complex number. It is also known as the cube root of a complex number.

How do you find the 3rd root of a complex number?

To find the 3rd root of a complex number, you can use the polar form of the complex number and apply De Moivre's theorem. This involves converting the complex number into its polar form, then taking the square root of the magnitude and dividing the argument by 3.

Is the 3rd root of a complex number always a complex number?

No, the 3rd root of a complex number can also be a real number. This happens when the argument of the complex number is a multiple of 3, making the complex number lie on the real axis.

Are there multiple 3rd roots of a complex number?

Yes, there are three possible 3rd roots of a complex number. This is because the complex plane has three distinct cube roots of unity, and each of these can be multiplied by the 3rd root of the magnitude to give a different 3rd root of the original complex number.

What is the relationship between the 3rd root of a complex number and its conjugate?

The 3rd root of a complex number and its conjugate have the same magnitude but opposite arguments. This means that they are reflections of each other across the real axis in the complex plane.