4th Vertex in a 3D Parallelogram

In summary, the problem asks for the vector S given three vertices of a parallelogram with adjacent sides PQ and PR. The equations PR = QS and PQ = RS can be used to solve for S, resulting in the coordinates (-1, 3, 2). However, it is possible that the problem contains an error.
Temp0

Homework Statement

Let P, Q, and R be the vertices of a parallelogram with adjacent sides PQ and PR. Find the other vector S.
P (2, 0 ,-1), Q (-2, 4, 1), R (3, -1, 0)

Homework Equations

PR = QS
PQ = RS

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the two equations and solved both of them, getting (-1, 3, 2) for S by making the coordinates of S into x, y, and z and solving the equations. However, my answer doesn't seem to be correct. Why am I wrong? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Temp0! :smile:
Temp0 said:
Let P, Q, and R be the vertices of a parallelogram with adjacent sides PQ and PR. Find the other vector S.
P (2, 0 ,-1), Q (-2, 4, 1), R (3, -1, 0)

I took the two equations and solved both of them, getting (-1, 3, 2) for S

I don't understand your method, but your result seems correct. :confused:

(are you sure it isn't "with adjacent sides PQ and QR"?)

yeah... I get S = (-1,3,2) also.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Temp0! :smile:

I don't understand your method, but your result seems correct. :confused:

(are you sure it isn't "with adjacent sides PQ and QR"?)

Just checked, nope, PQ and PR... I think it might be a mistake in the book ;_;

1. What is the 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram?

The 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram is the point where two adjacent sides intersect. In a 3D parallelogram, there are four vertices or corners, with each vertex connecting three edges.

2. Does a 3D parallelogram always have a 4th vertex?

Yes, a 3D parallelogram always has a 4th vertex. This is because by definition, a parallelogram is a quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel sides, and in 3D space, the intersection of two parallel lines creates a point, or vertex.

3. How is the 4th vertex determined in a 3D parallelogram?

The 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram is determined by the intersection of two adjacent sides. This can be found by using the coordinates of the other three vertices and solving for the point of intersection using geometry or algebraic methods.

4. What is the importance of the 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram?

The 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram is important because it helps to define the shape and properties of the parallelogram. It is also necessary for calculating the area, perimeter, and other measurements of a 3D parallelogram.

5. Can the 4th vertex of a 3D parallelogram be located outside of the shape?

No, the 4th vertex in a 3D parallelogram must always be located within the shape. This is because if the vertex were located outside of the shape, it would no longer be a parallelogram, but rather a different type of quadrilateral with four non-parallel sides.