1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

50% duty cycle

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    When Operating NE555 as astable vibrator

In how many ways can we make the ON pulse exactly equal to OFF pulse?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a link to a datasheet for the 555? What specs for duty cycle are listed? BTW, is this a homework problem?

4. May 24, 2006 #3
    If I recall correctly, it is NOT possible to obtain a perfect 50% duty cycle output with a 555.

5. May 27, 2006 #4
    let's look into the internal structure of 555, we see pin 5 (voltage control pin) plays its role as voltage alternator for threshold voltage of upper comparator so charging time of external capacitor C changes thus the frequency of osscillation changes , but i don't know how to get exactly 50% duty cycle (Mark=Space), how to get charging time equal to discharging time??
    does the threshold changing of upper comparator result in corresponding threshold change of lower comparator?!

i need help , thanks

6. May 27, 2006 #5
    let's look into the internal structure of 555, we see pin 5 (voltage control pin) plays its role as voltage alternator for threshold voltage of above comparator so charging time of external capacitor C changes thus the frequency of osscillation changes , but i don't know how to get exactly 50% duty cycle (Mark=Space), how to get charging time equal to discharging time??

what's the relation between control voltage and discharging time?

7. May 28, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If the 50% duty cycle is important to you, just run the 555 at 2x frequency, and add a divide-by-2 flipflop after the 555. Or use a better oscillator than the 555.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?