A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is

Homework Equations

I need the equation to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

30m?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I think you forgot to complete the problem statement

I really just need the correct equation. I lost my paper with equations on it.

I really just need the correct equation. I lost my paper with equations on it.
well okay but I can't tell what your problem is even about because it appears incomplete

there are a lot of different situations that involve "A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is..."

and there are a lot of equations that could be used in all of those situations

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is

Homework Equations

I need the equation to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

30m?
I think the equation you are looking for is Fc = mv2/R

Fc is the centripetal Force required for mass m , travelling as speed v, to move in a circle of radius R.

You certainly have all the data required to solve that problem. The tightest curve will be when all the frictional force is used entirely to turn. if you want to speed up or slow down as well, then it is a little harder.

EDIT: Your suggested answer may even be correct, but how did you get it? Lucky guess?

I think you forgot to complete the problem statement
No, that's all she gave me. My professor is a little eccentric, and yes the answer I gave was a lucky guess lol.

PeterO
Homework Helper

No, that's all she gave me. My professor is a little eccentric, and yes the answer I gave was a lucky guess lol.
So have you tried using that formula I gave? It contains 4 unknowns - but you know the value of 3 of them, so calculating the 4th should be a breeze!