Max Friction: Calculating Car's Min Turning Radius

In summary, the problem involves a 1200-kg car traveling at 10 m/s on a road with a maximum frictional force of 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is unknown and the equation needed to solve the problem is Fc = mv2/R. The conversation between the two individuals shows that the person asking for help only needs the equation to solve the problem and that they were able to guess the correct answer with the given information. The person offering help suggests using the formula to calculate the missing value.
WeldingWoman

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is

Homework Equations

I need the equation to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

30m?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you forgot to complete the problem statement

I really just need the correct equation. I lost my paper with equations on it.

WeldingWoman said:
I really just need the correct equation. I lost my paper with equations on it.

well okay but I can't tell what your problem is even about because it appears incomplete

there are a lot of different situations that involve "A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is..."

and there are a lot of equations that could be used in all of those situations

WeldingWoman said:

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is

Homework Equations

I need the equation to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

30m?

I think the equation you are looking for is Fc = mv2/R

Fc is the centripetal Force required for mass m , traveling as speed v, to move in a circle of radius R.

You certainly have all the data required to solve that problem. The tightest curve will be when all the frictional force is used entirely to turn. if you want to speed up or slow down as well, then it is a little harder.

EDIT: Your suggested answer may even be correct, but how did you get it? Lucky guess?

SHISHKABOB said:
I think you forgot to complete the problem statement

No, that's all she gave me. My professor is a little eccentric, and yes the answer I gave was a lucky guess lol.

WeldingWoman said:
No, that's all she gave me. My professor is a little eccentric, and yes the answer I gave was a lucky guess lol.

So have you tried using that formula I gave? It contains 4 unknowns - but you know the value of 3 of them, so calculating the 4th should be a breeze!

1. What is Max Friction and its significance in calculating a car's minimum turning radius?

Max Friction refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object without causing it to slide or slip. In the context of a car's minimum turning radius, it is important because it determines the maximum speed at which a car can turn without losing traction and slipping.

2. How is Max Friction calculated?

Max Friction is calculated by dividing the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road surface by the cosine of the car's turning angle. This formula takes into account the weight of the car, the type of tires, and the road conditions.

3. What factors can affect a car's Max Friction?

Several factors can affect a car's Max Friction, including the weight and distribution of the car's load, the type and condition of the tires, the road surface and weather conditions, and the car's speed and turning angle.

4. Can Max Friction be increased or decreased?

Yes, Max Friction can be increased by increasing the weight on the tires, using high-performance tires with better grip, and driving on a surface with high friction (e.g. dry pavement). It can be decreased by decreasing the weight on the tires, using worn-out or low-quality tires, and driving on a slippery surface (e.g. wet or icy roads).

5. Why is it important to calculate a car's minimum turning radius?

Calculating a car's minimum turning radius is important for safe and efficient driving. It helps determine the maximum safe speed at which a car can turn without losing control or slipping. It also allows drivers to plan their turns accordingly, especially in tight spaces or in emergency situations.