1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is

2. Relevant equations
    I need the equation to solve.

3. The attempt at a solution
    30m?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Re: A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional f

I think you forgot to complete the problem statement

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Re: A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional f

I really just need the correct equation. I lost my paper with equations on it.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

well okay but I can't tell what your problem is even about because it appears incomplete

there are a lot of different situations that involve "A 1200-kg car is traveling at 10 m/s on a road such that the maximum frictional force between its tires and the road is 4000 N. The minimum turning radius of the car is..."

and there are a lot of equations that could be used in all of those situations

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

I think the equation you are looking for is Fc = mv2/R

Fc is the centripetal Force required for mass m , travelling as speed v, to move in a circle of radius R.

You certainly have all the data required to solve that problem. The tightest curve will be when all the frictional force is used entirely to turn. if you want to speed up or slow down as well, then it is a little harder.

EDIT: Your suggested answer may even be correct, but how did you get it? Lucky guess?

7. Apr 11, 2012 #6

No, that's all she gave me. My professor is a little eccentric, and yes the answer I gave was a lucky guess lol.

8. Apr 11, 2012 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

So have you tried using that formula I gave? It contains 4 unknowns - but you know the value of 3 of them, so calculating the 4th should be a breeze!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook