Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A ball weighing 100N

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball weighing 100-N is shown suspended from a system of cords. What are the tensions in the horizontal and angled cords?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use F=ma but I couldn't go anywhere with the equation. I know that sum of Forces (tension, gravity, normal?) equals the mass X acceleration, and there is no acceleration. So the forces equal the mass? And I got stuck here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    Write down the forces acting on the ball and on the cords. Split the forces you get into x and y components.

You are correct in that F = ma. And there a is 0. So F = m*0 = 0. Sum of all forces should be 0 then.

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi EndOfMemories, welcome to PF.
    Let T1 be the tension in the horizontal cord and T2 be the tension in the angled cord.
    Resolve T2 in to vertical and horizontal components and apply the equilibrium conditions.

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When an object is not in motion, there is no acceleration. Use Newton's first law in both the the y and x directions,where ax and ay are 0. . Note that tension forces always act in a direction pulling away from the object along the direction of the length of the cord, so there can be no vertical component of the tension in the horizontal cord.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    Thanks guys I got it now

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook