Conservation of Linear Momentum and Energy in a Two-Block System

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of linear momentum and energy in a two-block system with no external forces in the x-direction. The equation 0 = mv^2 - 9mV^2 is derived, with v representing the velocity of one block towards the right and V representing the velocity of the other block towards the left. The conservation of energy is also applied, resulting in the equation (1/2)(9m)V^2 + (1/2)mv^2 = mgR. However, the resulting solution, V = (gR/45)^1/2, differs from the correct answer, V = (5gR/4)^1/2, causing confusion and discussion about potential errors in
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
The figure shows a block A of mass 9m having a smooth semicircular groove of radius R placed on a smooth horizontal surface. A block B of mass m is released from a position in groove where its radius is horizontal. Find the speed of the bigger block when the smaller block reaches its bottom-most position.
Relevant Equations
-
BMS_VOL2_C01_E01_026_Q01.png

since there is no external force in the x-direction linear momentum can be conserved. Hence I get the equation $$0 = mv^2 - 9mV^2$$
where ##v## is the velocity of B towards the right and ##V## is the velocity of A toward the left.
also the conservation of energy gives $$1/2(9m)V^2 + (1/2)mv^2 = mgR$$
solving these two equations yields ## V = (\frac {gR}{45})^{1/2}## which differs quite a bit from the correct answer. Also, I thought maybe I would have to account for the work done by the normal reaction between B and A but shouldn't they get canceled out is that assumption wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is mv, and not mv²

LCSphysicist said:
Momentum is mv, and not mv²
sorry that's a typo my bado:)
I actually solved it using mv so the rest of the steps should be mathematically correct

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
sorry that's a typo my bado:)
I actually solved it using mv so the rest of the steps should be mathematically correct
Did you consider the fact that the little block apparently has a velocity1, but that velocity1 would can be actually a composition of its velocity and the big block velocity? Like a boat in a river?

LCSphysicist said:
Did you consider the fact that the little block apparently has a velocity1, but that velocity1 would can be actually a composition of its velocity and the big block velocity? Like a boat in a river?
the ##v## and ##V## that I have used are both with respect to the ground and since I conserve momentum and energy from the ground frame it shouldn't be a problem?

the ##v## and ##V## that I have used are both with respect to the ground and since I conserve momentum and energy from the ground frame it shouldn't be a problem?
Oh yes I got confused in the frame, I also found your answer.

LCSphysicist said:
Oh yes I got confused in the frame, I also found your answer.
the correct answer is supposed to be $$V = ( \frac {5}{4} gR)^{1/2}$$
but I don't get understand what I am doing wrong :oldconfused:

the correct answer is supposed to be $$V = ( \frac {5}{4} gR)^{1/2}$$
but I don't get understand what I am doing wrong :oldconfused:
It's like 1/45 became 1/4 5. Latex error?

haruspex said:
It's like 1/45 became 1/4 5. Latex error?
the answer I have got is $$V = (\frac{gR}{45})^{1/2}$$
the correct answer is $$V = (\frac{5gR}{4})^{1/2}$$
so I think it might not be a LaTeX error

this is the only solution I could find. but i don't get what ##v_{0}## is and how they got that equation for ##\Delta K_{cm} ##

Attachments

• soln.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 154
the answer I have got is $$V = (\frac{gR}{45})^{1/2}$$
the correct answer is $$V = (\frac{5gR}{4})^{1/2}$$
so I think it might not be a LaTeX error
@LCSphysicist and I get the same answer as you do.
The book answer is obviously wrong. It would mean the block has KE ##\frac{45}8mgR##, when the total energy available is only mgR.

I was trying to understand how the book answer could be 5/4 instead of 1/45. Sometimes it can be explained as a half-updated exercise, where some parameters have been changed but the answer not updated. In the present case, there is no rational ratio of the masses that would give 5/4.
Then it occurred to me that if someone had handwritten 1/45 more like 1/4 5, such that it was misread as ##\frac 14 5## by a typist, it could later have been typeset as ##\frac 54##. A longshot, but I couldn't think of another explanation.

Likes Hamiltonian
this is the only solution I could find. but i don't get what ##v_{0}## is and how they got that equation for ##\Delta K_{cm} ##
@haruspex I attached the solution in the book above

@haruspex I attached the solution in the book above
The error is clear in the first line. It should read ##v_1=9v_2##, not ##v_1=\frac{v_0}3##.
With that correction it gives your answer.

Likes Hamiltonian
I wanted to solve the same problem from the CoM frame and the answer I am getting is different:/

in the Com frame the kinetic energy of a two-block system is given by $$KE = \frac{1}{2} \mu V_{relative}^2$$
where ##\mu## is the reduced mass(##\mu = \frac {m1m2}{m1+ m2}##) and ##V_{relative}## is the relative velocity between the two blocks.

by applying conservation of linear momentum we know ##v = 9V##
and by applying COE $$\frac{1}{2}\mu(v - V)^2 = mgR$$
solving this gives $$V = \frac {(5gR)^{1/2}}{12}$$

so am I making an error in applying COE from the CoM frame?

I wanted to solve the same problem from the CoM frame and the answer I am getting is different:/

in the Com frame the kinetic energy of a two-block system is given by $$KE = \frac{1}{2} \mu V_{relative}^2$$
where ##\mu## is the reduced mass(##\mu = \frac {m1m2}{m1+ m2}##) and ##V_{relative}## is the relative velocity between the two blocks.

by applying conservation of linear momentum we know ##v = 9V##
and by applying COE $$\frac{1}{2}\mu(v - V)^2 = mgR$$
solving this gives $$V = \frac {(5gR)^{1/2}}{12}$$

so am I making an error in applying COE from the CoM frame?
The PDF solution had v and V measured with opposite sense, so the relative velocity was V+v. The only error in it was the one I quoted in post #13.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is a block in a groove problem?

A block in a groove problem is a physics problem that involves a block of mass sliding in a groove or track, usually under the influence of gravity or some other force. The goal of the problem is often to determine the acceleration or velocity of the block at a given point.

2. What are the key factors that affect a block in a groove problem?

The key factors that affect a block in a groove problem include the mass of the block, the angle of the groove, the coefficient of friction between the block and the groove, and any external forces acting on the block, such as gravity or applied forces.

3. How do you solve a block in a groove problem?

To solve a block in a groove problem, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the block, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to write equations of motion for the block in the x and y directions. Finally, you can solve these equations to find the acceleration or velocity of the block.

4. Can a block in a groove problem be solved using conservation of energy?

Yes, a block in a groove problem can be solved using conservation of energy if there are no external forces acting on the block. In this case, the initial potential energy of the block at the top of the groove is equal to the final kinetic energy of the block at the bottom of the groove.

5. Are there any real-world applications of block in a groove problems?

Yes, block in a groove problems have many real-world applications, such as determining the motion of a roller coaster car on a track, analyzing the motion of a car on a curved road, or calculating the trajectory of a projectile launched from a ramp. They are also commonly used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of machines and structures.