How to Calculate Mechanical Advantage of Box On a Board

• Thread starter syang9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board Box
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mechanical advantage when using a lever, specifically a board with a fulcrum and a box placed on it. It is mentioned that the center of mass should be exactly halfway between the fulcrum and the edge of the board. The person also questions how to determine the mechanical advantage without knowing the length of the board, which leads to a discussion about the definition of "lever arm." Ultimately, it is determined that the mechanical advantage can be calculated by dividing the force exerted by the weight of the box by 2.
syang9
Let's say you put a box on a board, like this. (the dot represents a fulcrum point). Let's say the center of mass is exactly halfway between the fulcrum and the edge of the board.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/119319/board.jpg

Now let's say you exert an upward force F in the direction of the arrow. My book tells me that the force should be reduced by a factor of 2.. which I suppose is plausible, but how can you know the exact mechanical advantage without knowing the length of the board?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you figure out the mechanical advantage if you knew the length of the board? Call the length L and see what happens.

Okay, I think I was confused because I didn't really understand the definition of a 'lever arm.' The lever arm is defined as the distance from the rotation point to where the force acts perpendicular. So the lever arm for F would be L, and the lever arm for the weight of the box would be L/2. F*L = mg(L/2), and F = mg/2. Thanks, Doc!

FAQ: How to Calculate Mechanical Advantage of Box On a Board

1. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a box on a board?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a box on a board, you will need to know the weight of the box and the angle of the board. You can then use the formula MA = weight of the box / (sin(angle)). The resulting number is the mechanical advantage of the system.

2. What is mechanical advantage and why is it important?

Mechanical advantage is the measure of the force amplification achieved by using a machine or tool. It is important because it helps us understand the efficiency of a system and how much force is required to accomplish a certain task.

3. Can the mechanical advantage of a box on a board be greater than 1?

Yes, the mechanical advantage of a box on a board can be greater than 1. This indicates that the system is able to amplify the force applied to the box, making it easier to lift or move.

4. How does the angle of the board affect the mechanical advantage?

The angle of the board directly affects the mechanical advantage. As the angle increases, the mechanical advantage also increases. This means that a steeper angle will require less force to lift the box.

5. Can the mechanical advantage of a box on a board change?

Yes, the mechanical advantage of a box on a board can change. It is dependent on the weight of the box and the angle of the board. If either of these factors change, the mechanical advantage will also change.

Back