A car experiences uniform acceleration

In summary, the car initially at rest experiences uniform acceleration of 5m/s2 for 6 seconds, followed by constant velocity for 14 seconds, and then deceleration for 5 seconds. To find the distance traveled, you can use the kinematic equations vf = vo + at and x = vot + 0.5at*t. Please show your attempt for solving the question, as I am not allowed to give solutions. Good luck!
Cris911
1. A car initially at rest experiences uniform acceleration of 5m/s2 for 6 seconds. It maintains constant velocity for 14 seconds and is then brought to rest in 5 seconds by a uniform retardation.
a. Find out how far the car has travelled.
b. Find the total angular displacement of one of the wheels

Physics news on Phys.org
please show your attempt for solving the question ..

i can't because i don't know how to do it

I am not allowed to give solution .. but I will try to explain the question and what are you supposed to do ..

in brief,
1) the car experience a constant acceleration for 6s.
2) then it experience a constant velocity for 14s.
3) finally, it experience deceleration for 5s.

it is clearly that you are going to use the kinematic equations:
vf = vo + at , (where vf:final velocity .. vo: initial velocity .. a: acceleration .. t:time)
x = vot + 0.5 at*t (x is the distance)

there are other equations, but i believe you can solve your question using those equations (if you needed other equation, go ahead and use it)

you can use these equations in my statements in 1 and 3 to find the distance .. in statement 2 you have to consider something else to find the distance ..

thats all i can say.. please show your effort otherwise i won't be able to help you farther than this ..

dont give up and try .. good luck ..

alright cheers bud i'll give it a go :)

1. What is uniform acceleration in a car?

Uniform acceleration in a car refers to the consistent increase in velocity over a period of time. This means that the car's speed is changing at a constant rate, resulting in a straight line on a velocity-time graph.

2. How is uniform acceleration different from non-uniform acceleration in a car?

Uniform acceleration is when the car's speed increases or decreases at a constant rate, while non-uniform acceleration is when the car's speed changes at varying rates. This results in a curved line on a velocity-time graph.

3. What causes a car to experience uniform acceleration?

A car experiences uniform acceleration when there is a constant force acting on it, such as pressing on the gas pedal or going downhill. This force causes the car's speed to increase or decrease at a constant rate.

4. How is uniform acceleration calculated in a car?

Uniform acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

5. Can a car experience uniform acceleration while turning?

No, a car cannot experience uniform acceleration while turning because the direction of the car's velocity is constantly changing. Uniform acceleration only occurs when there is a constant change in speed in a straight line.