1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A car experiences uniform acceleration

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. A car initially at rest experiences uniform acceleration of 5m/s2 for 6 seconds. It maintains constant velocity for 14 seconds and is then brought to rest in 5 seconds by a uniform retardation.
    a. Find out how far the car has travelled.
    b. Find the total angular displacement of one of the wheels
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2
    please show your attempt for solving the question ..
  4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    i cant because i dont know how to do it
  5. Apr 17, 2010 #4
    I am not allowed to give solution .. but I will try to explain the question and what are you supposed to do ..

in brief,
    1) the car experience a constant acceleration for 6s.
    2) then it experience a constant velocity for 14s.
    3) finally, it experience deceleration for 5s.

it is clearly that you are going to use the kinematic equations:
    vf = vo + at , (where vf:final velocity .. vo: initial velocity .. a: acceleration .. t:time)
    x = vot + 0.5 at*t (x is the distance)

there are other equations, but i believe you can solve your question using those equations (if you needed other equation, go ahead and use it)

you can use these equations in my statements in 1 and 3 to find the distance .. in statement 2 you have to consider something else to find the distance ..

thats all i can say.. please show your effort otherwise i wont be able to help you farther than this ..

dont give up and try .. good luck ..
  6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    alright cheers bud i'll give it a go :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook