Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A case of Rolling

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform cylinder of mass m of radius r(smaller) rolls on a cylindrical surface of radius R(larger). At a certain instant, the line OC has an angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex].
    http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5380/cylinerssm0.jpg [Broken]

Find
    a) the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface.
    b) the kinetic energy of the cylinder

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all since the line joining the centres goes through an angular velocity of [tex]\omega[/tex]. The velocity of the centre of mass of the small cylinder with respect to the centre of fixed cylinder is [tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]. The angular velocity about its centre would be [tex]\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r}[/tex]. I am stuck now.

For
    a) I think the acceleration of this point= r * [tex]\beta[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex]is the angular acceleration of the small cylinder about its centre.
    [tex]\beta=\frac{d(\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})}{dt}[/tex]

Since it is given that d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt=[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]\beta=\frac{(R+r)\alpha}{r}[/tex]

But the answer provide is not r * [tex]\beta[/tex]. I am confused.

b) For the kinetic energy of the cylinder, I used
    KE= [tex]0.5*m*v^{2}+0.5*I (\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})^2[/tex]

where I=mr*r
    and v=[tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]

But I get wrong results for both. Please Help@!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:
    You're misunderstanding the question … "with respect to the surface" means with respect to the larger cylinder … in other words, with respect to the ground. :wink:

Try again! :smile:

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Hi tim,
    I did not have a confusion regarding that. What I have tried to calculate is in accordance with ground frame. Is it not?

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a beta: β and an omega: ω and a squared: ² :wink:)
    No, the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface (the ground frame) is rα. :wink:

(rβ is the acceleration with respect to the smaller cylinder)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook