1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A case of Rolling

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform cylinder of mass m of radius r(smaller) rolls on a cylindrical surface of radius R(larger). At a certain instant, the line OC has an angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex].
    http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5380/cylinerssm0.jpg

Find
    a) the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface.
    b) the kinetic energy of the cylinder

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all since the line joining the centres goes through an angular velocity of [tex]\omega[/tex]. The velocity of the centre of mass of the small cylinder with respect to the centre of fixed cylinder is [tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]. The angular velocity about its centre would be [tex]\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r}[/tex]. I am stuck now.

For
    a) I think the acceleration of this point= r * [tex]\beta[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex]is the angular acceleration of the small cylinder about its centre.
    [tex]\beta=\frac{d(\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})}{dt}[/tex]

Since it is given that d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt=[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]\beta=\frac{(R+r)\alpha}{r}[/tex]

But the answer provide is not r * [tex]\beta[/tex]. I am confused.

b) For the kinetic energy of the cylinder, I used
    KE= [tex]0.5*m*v^{2}+0.5*I (\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})^2[/tex]

where I=mr*r
    and v=[tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]

But I get wrong results for both. Please Help@!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:
    You're misunderstanding the question … "with respect to the surface" means with respect to the larger cylinder … in other words, with respect to the ground. :wink:

Try again! :smile:

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Hi tim,
    I did not have a confusion regarding that. What I have tried to calculate is in accordance with ground frame. Is it not?

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a beta: β and an omega: ω and a squared: ² :wink:)
    No, the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface (the ground frame) is rα. :wink:

(rβ is the acceleration with respect to the smaller cylinder)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?