Solving Rolling Homework Statement: Acceleration & Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rolling
In summary, the problem involves a uniform cylinder of mass m and radius r rolling on a cylindrical surface of radius R. At a certain instant, the line OC has an angular velocity ω and angular acceleration α. The goal is to find the acceleration of point of contact P with respect to the surface and the kinetic energy of the cylinder. The solution involves finding the velocity and angular velocity of the center of mass of the small cylinder, and using the formula KE= 0.5*m*v^2+0.5*I*(ω(R+r)/r)^2. However, for the acceleration of point P, it is necessary to use rα instead of rβ.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A uniform cylinder of mass m of radius r(smaller) rolls on a cylindrical surface of radius R(larger). At a certain instant, the line OC has an angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex].
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5380/cylinerssm0.jpg

Find
a) the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface.
b) the kinetic energy of the cylinder

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all since the line joining the centres goes through an angular velocity of [tex]\omega[/tex]. The velocity of the centre of mass of the small cylinder with respect to the centre of fixed cylinder is [tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]. The angular velocity about its centre would be [tex]\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r}[/tex]. I am stuck now.

For
a) I think the acceleration of this point= r * [tex]\beta[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex]is the angular acceleration of the small cylinder about its centre.
[tex]\beta=\frac{d(\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})}{dt}[/tex]

Since it is given that d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt=[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\beta=\frac{(R+r)\alpha}{r}[/tex]

But the answer provide is not r * [tex]\beta[/tex]. I am confused.

b) For the kinetic energy of the cylinder, I used
KE= [tex]0.5*m*v^{2}+0.5*I (\frac{\omega(R+r)}{r})^2[/tex]

where I=mr*r
and v=[tex]\omega(R+r)[/tex]

But I get wrong results for both. Please Help@!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ritwik06! :smile:
ritwik06 said:
A uniform cylinder of mass m of radius r(smaller) rolls on a cylindrical surface of radius R(larger). At a certain instant, the line OC has an angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Find
a) the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface.

You're misunderstanding the question … "with respect to the surface" means with respect to the larger cylinder … in other words, with respect to the ground. :wink:

Try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

You're misunderstanding the question … "with respect to the surface" means with respect to the larger cylinder … in other words, with respect to the ground. :wink:

Try again! :smile:

Hi tim,
I did not have a confusion regarding that. What I have tried to calculate is in accordance with ground frame. Is it not?

(have an alpha: α and a beta: β and an omega: ω and a squared: ² :wink:)
ritwik06 said:
Hi tim,
I did not have a confusion regarding that. What I have tried to calculate is in accordance with ground frame. Is it not?

No, the acceleration of point of contact P (of the 2 cylinders) with respect to the surface (the ground frame) is rα. :wink:

(rβ is the acceleration with respect to the smaller cylinder)

Related to Solving Rolling Homework Statement: Acceleration & Kinetic Energy

1. What is acceleration in physics?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity, and is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v², where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. How is kinetic energy related to acceleration?

Kinetic energy and acceleration are related through the formula KE = 1/2 * m * a * d, where d is the distance traveled. This means that acceleration can affect an object's kinetic energy by changing its velocity and/or mass.

5. How can I solve a rolling homework problem involving acceleration and kinetic energy?

To solve a rolling homework problem, you will need to use the appropriate formulas for acceleration and kinetic energy, as well as any other relevant equations. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify the given information, and then use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variables. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or use visual aids to better understand the problem and its solution.