A collateral question about rockets

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rockets
In summary, the equations used for aerodynamics of rockets are N-S equations. The equations are valid when there is a low density atmosphere.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My question is about the rocket aerodynamics. I'm getting in a course of CFD (computational fluid dynamics) in my university. We have to do a project for this quarter. And I thought in modelling (with Matlab) the supersonic aerodynamics of the Soyuz/ST rocket. I'm only going to test the leading fairing. I have made yet the mesh generation in Matlab (it took me a lot of time) with an elliptic generator. But now I'm analysing the on flight conditions of the free stream, at a height of 100km. I'm not sure if Navier Stokes equations are valid at such heights, where density is too small. If anybody has coursed aerospace studies, have you ever made something similar and with which equations?. I have read N-S equations are not valid for the re-entry of space vehicles due to the low density. If they are not valid, which equations are used?. I need some advice before proceeding further.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Clausius.

N-S are not valid. For upper atmospheres, you need to look at Newtonian Flow. I don't know of any software which currently handles that (maybe STK?).

Basically, you'll need to have random impacts of single atoms and molecules and consider the momentum transferred. This should be doable, but will take an enormous amount of work to get coded, as far as I can see.

Now, if it's low enough for a shock wave to form, I'm totally at a loss how to model it.

If you find out, let me know. This is one thing we needed to scrap from the report for our space tourism project. We tried doing it in FEMLAB, wasted entirely too much time, and then found out the equations we were using weren't valid for that situation.

Thanks.

I have not another possibility than using N-S equations. In part because I don't know a Newtonian formulation as you referred to. As far as I know I think Fluent cannot deal with low density flows. I have heard about the Lagrangian formulation in which is modeled the movement of each particle as you said. But surely it needs a lot of computing time!

Anyway, I have the curves of acceleration (U-h and U-t) of the rocket. So that I have to choose some height valid for N-S equations. Currently I'm linearizing around a height of 50 Km (at the Stratopause). There [tex] \rho=0.96*10^{-3} kg/m^3[/tex] as the Standard Atmosphere figures state.

Which height do you think is the threshold for the validity of the N-S equations?

What is a rocket?

A rocket is a type of spacecraft or missile that is propelled by the exhaust of a high-speed jet of gas that is expelled from the rear of the vehicle.

How do rockets work?

Rockets work by utilizing Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Rockets use this principle to propel themselves forward by expelling gas or liquid at high speeds.

What are the different types of rockets?

There are three main types of rockets: solid fuel rockets, liquid fuel rockets, and hybrid rockets. Solid fuel rockets use a solid propellant that is ignited to produce thrust. Liquid fuel rockets use liquid propellants that are mixed and ignited to produce thrust. Hybrid rockets use a combination of solid and liquid fuel.

What are rockets used for?

Rockets have a variety of uses, including space exploration, satellite launches, military defense, and transportation of goods and people. They are also used for scientific research and experimentation.

What is the future of rocket technology?

The future of rocket technology is constantly evolving, with advancements being made in areas such as propulsion, materials, and design. Some potential future developments include reusable rockets, faster and more efficient propulsion systems, and the use of alternative fuels. There is also ongoing research into using rockets for space tourism and colonization of other planets.