Can You Verify My Equations for Rocket Flight?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in verifying their equations for calculating rocket flight. They share their equations and note that they are using natural logarithms for mass ratios. They also mention that they are calculating iteratively and need certain parameters at 1 second intervals. The person also shares some atmospheric conditions that they have already verified. Another person suggests using OpenRocket or RASaero to check the results and mentions that the drag coefficients used in the equations seem too low. The original person agrees and asks for suggestions on reading about supersonic aerodynamics.
strive
Hi

I have written a set of equations for rocket flight (below) as i need to know the final altitude at various configurations (fuel mass/payload/exhaust mass flow/thrust).

I would ask if someone can please verify if this is correct (i have compared the results to results gained from Tsiolkovsky equation but it is difficult to approximate varying Isp with altitude and to include drag). Although the results are near.
I am calculating iteratively because i need to know the following parameters at 1 second intervals: vehicle velocity, acceleration, altitude and mass.

I know i should be using natural logarithm for mass ratios, but at 100 steps per second i postulated the error is negligible (a max error of 2% is allowed).
The equations in question are blue, the rest is just the programs structure (it's matlab/octave syntax).

Atmospheric conditions for each iteration are derived by a large number of equations which i have already verified thus i have not included them.m0=1100; % initial rocket mass [kg/s]
masso=500; % initial oxidator mass [kg]
massouto=6; % oxidator consumption [kg/s]
massoutg=1.5; % fuel consumption [kg/s]
massout=massouto+massoutg; % total propellant consumption [kg/s]

flightdur=(masso)/massouto % time of powered flight
t=0.01; % timestep

Rmax=0.826; % max vessel radius [m]
A=pi*Rmax^2; % max vessel cross-section [m2]
R=287; % air gas constant [J/kgK]
h0=0; % starting altitude [m]
T0=288.15; % temperature at 0m isa [K]
v0=0; % starting velocity [m/s]
g=9.81; % starting gravitational acceleration [m/s^2]

Cd1=0.015; % subsonic drag coefficient [/]
Cd2=0.04; % supersonic drag coefficient [/]

Xtotal=flightdur/t; % total number of timesteps [/]
% START CONDITIONS--------------------------------------------------------------
m=m0;
s=h0;
v=v0;

% TIMESTEP EQUATION BLOCK-------------------------------------------------------
for i=1:Xtotal
TIME=t*i;

%%% CALCULATION OF ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS (also defines vout)
(vout % exhaust gas velocity [m/s])

F=vout*massout; % generated thrust [N]
ro=p/(R*T); % ambient density [kg/m^3]

if v<340
Fd=A*v^2*ro*Cd1/2; % subsonic flight drag [N]
else
Fd=A*v^2*ro*Cd2/2; % supersonic drag [N]
end

Fu=F-Fd; % useful thrust [N]

dm=(massout*t); % mass change in timestep X [kg]
ma=m-(dm/2); % average mass during timestep X [kg]
a=(Fu/ma)-g; % acceleration in timestep X [m/s^2]
s=(a*(t^2)/2)+v*t+s; % altitude in timestep X [m]
v=(a*t)+v; % velocity at the end of timestep X [m/s]
m=m-dm; % vehicle mass at the end of timestep X [kg]

end

%%% COASTING PERIOD--------------------------------------------------------
ii=0;

while v>0

ii=ii+1;
TIMEcoasting=ii*t;

%%% CALCULATION OF ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS

ro=p/(R*T); % ambient density [kg/m^3]

if v<340
Fd=A*v^2*ro*Cd1/2; % subsonic flight drag [N]
else
Fd=A*v^2*ro*Cd2/2; % supersonic drag [N]
end

a=-(Fd/massempty)-g; % acceleration in timestep X [m/s^2]
s=(a*(t^2)/2)+v*t+s; % altitude in timestep X [m]
v=(a*t)+v; % velocity at the end of timestep X [m/s]

end

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can use OpenRocket [1] to check your results. You may have to select "model rocketry" parameters for this to be accurate.

[1] http://openrocket.sourceforge.net

Those drag coefficients look perhaps an order of magnitude too low to me, and you'll lose a significant amount of accuracy by only having a subsonic and supersonic value, instead of a CD vs mach curve. If you want a more realistic aerodynamic simulation, RASaero is pretty good at estimating rocket drag all the way up to pretty high supersonic speed.

http://www.rasaero.com/

Thank you both.

I will test both programs.

I have checked the NACA RM A53D02 (from the RASAero site) now and it really seems the coefficients are way too low (i migth have used the planform area drag coefficients instead of frontal area drag coefficients).

By the way, can you perhaps guide me to some condensed reading on supersonic aerodynamics? I seem to be unable to find any »to the point« books.

strive said:
By the way, can you perhaps guide me to some condensed reading on supersonic aerodynamics? I seem to be unable to find any »to the point« books.

Modern Compressible Flow: With Historical Perspective - J.D. Anderson
Elements of Gasdynamics - Liepmann and Roshko

Likes 1 person

1. What is considered the maximum altitude reached by a rocket?

The maximum altitude reached by a rocket can vary depending on its design and purpose. For suborbital rockets, the maximum altitude is typically between 50 and 100 miles. For orbital rockets, the maximum altitude can range from 100 to 1,200 miles.

2. How does a rocket reach its maximum altitude?

A rocket reaches its maximum altitude by utilizing a combination of thrust from its engines and the force of gravity. As it gains speed and altitude, the rocket's engines gradually decrease in power to maintain a stable trajectory.

3. Can a rocket reach space at any altitude?

Technically, yes. The boundary of space is generally considered to be 62 miles above Earth's surface, known as the Kármán line. However, most rockets that reach this altitude are suborbital and do not achieve the necessary velocity to stay in space.

4. What factors can affect the altitude reached by a rocket?

The altitude reached by a rocket can be affected by several factors, including the rocket's design, the amount of fuel it carries, the power of its engines, and external factors such as air resistance and wind.

5. How do scientists measure the altitude reached by a rocket?

Scientists use a variety of instruments to measure the altitude reached by a rocket, including radar, GPS, and onboard sensors. These instruments provide data on the rocket's speed, acceleration, and location, which can then be used to calculate its altitude.