A COM, Linear Momentum Problem

In summary, the smaller block of mass M slides off the top of the bigger block of mass M, and the smaller block's velocity affects the bigger block.
Avi1995

Homework Statement

A Block of mass m is placed on a triangular block of mass M(as if Fig).Assuming Frictionless surfaces find the velocity of the triangular block when the smaller Block reaches the bottom end.
200tt7k.png

2. Relevant concepts

Centre of Mass,Linear Momentum and probably Conservation of energy concepts

The Attempt at a Solution

I confess , I am quite confused visualising this one. especially the velocity of Big and small black,as
small block is on top of big block so the big block's velocity will also effect the small block.
Any Hint to start, is appreciated.Also Please tell how to visualize these situations. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than worry about the speed while the block is on the incline, just consider things after it slides off. Apply conservation of momentum and energy.

Doc Al said:
Rather than worry about the speed while the block is on the incline, just consider things after it slides off. Apply conservation of momentum and energy.

But the problem says when it reaches the bottom end, isn't it before it slides off?

Avi1995 said:
But the problem says when it reaches the bottom end, isn't it before it slides off?
In that case it's a tad more complicated, but still the same basic idea. I would call the speed of the block with respect to the wedge v1. Then consider conservation of momentum and energy. (Hint: How would you express the speed of the block with respect to the ground? Call the speed of the wedge with respect to the ground V2.)

Thank you so much, Sir. I was finally able to solve the problem using your method.
Although I won't be able to post the solution as it is quite long but the method is same.

PS: Can anyone tell me some good FREE Mathematics Software, so that i am able to write equations easily and graph some functions. I have Microsoft Maths, but I don't quite like it.

1. What is a COM in the context of a linear momentum problem?

A COM, or center of mass, is a point in a system where the entire mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. In a linear momentum problem, the COM is the point where the total momentum of the system is conserved.

2. How is linear momentum defined?

Linear momentum, also known as translational momentum, is a measure of the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating linear momentum?

The equation for calculating linear momentum is p = m * v, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity.

4. How does the conservation of linear momentum apply to a COM problem?

The conservation of linear momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. In a COM problem, this means that the total momentum of the system before and after the event will be the same as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of a COM, linear momentum problem?

A COM, linear momentum problem can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as analyzing collisions between objects, understanding the movement of a rocket in space, and studying the motion of planets in our solar system. It is also important in engineering and designing structures to ensure their stability and balance.