Continuity Problem: Show f is Continuous at a

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for showing that if f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) and f is continuous at 0, then f is also continuous at any given point a. The proof involves using the Triangle Inequality and showing that |f(x) - f(a)| < e for any e > 0 and x with |x - a| < d, where d is a positive number. By replacing x with x - a, the proof can be simplified and it can also be shown that f(-a) = -f(a).
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Suppose f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) and f is continuous at 0. Show that f is continuous at a.

The attempt at a solution
Since f is continuous at 0, for any e > 0 there is a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(0)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. Writing 0 as -a + a, |f(x) - f(0)| = |f(x) - f(-a) - f(a)|. By the Triangle Inequality, |f(x) - f(a)| - |f(-a)| ≤ |f(x) - f(-a) - f(a)| so |f(x) - f(a)| < e + |f(-a)|. This is as far as I've gotten. Am I proceeding the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
First note that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) implies f(0)=0, because f(0)=f(0+0)=f(0)+f(0), hence f(0)=0.

So the statement of continuity at 0 reads, "for any e > 0 there is a d > 0 such that |f(x)| < e for all x with |x| < d".

This said, do you see more easily now why continuity at 0 implies continuity everywhere?

Nice tip. I think I got it now: Given an e > 0, I need to find a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(a)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. Using the Triangle Inequality, |f(x) - f(a)| ≤ |f(x)| + |f(a)| so it suffices to find a d such that |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e is equivalent to |f(x)| < e - f(a). Since f is continuous at 0, there is definitely a d that will satisfy |f(x)| < e - f(a) for all x with |x - a| < d. Thus, f is continuous at a. This completes the proof. Right?

Noooo. If |f(x)-f(a)|<e and |f(x)-f(a)|<|f(x)|+|f(a)| does NOT IMPLY that |f(x)|+|f(a)|<e. At all. Not even a little. Just take quasar987's hint and replace x with x-a.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was trying to convey that |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e and |f(x) - f(a)| ≤ |f(x)| + |f(a)| implies that |f(x) - f(a)| < e.

I never thought of replacing x with x - a. That's a lot simpler than what I was trying to do.

e(ho0n3 said:
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was trying to convey that |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e and |f(x) - f(a)| ≤ |f(x)| + |f(a)| implies that |f(x) - f(a)| < e.

I never thought of replacing x with x - a. That's a lot simpler than what I was trying to do.

That implication is at least true, but it's not of much help proving the limit. Take an example of f(x)=x and say, a=3. The values of e you really care about are very close to zero. If x is close to 3, then |f(x)|+|f(a)| is around 6. Having |f(x)-f(a)|<6 is not going to be very useful as e gets small.

|f(x)|+|f(a)| can not be arbitrarily small except when |f(a)|=0 . Hence trying to prove "|f(x)| + |f(a)| < e" will fail unless you can show that f(a)=0 for any given a, but this is not the case

I understand now. Thanks guys.

Now that I've written things down, I'm noticing that replacing x with x - a is not enough for f(x - a) ≠ f(x) - f(a). Is there some way of proving that f(-a) = -f(a)?

Nevermind: 0 = f(0) = f(a - a) = f(a) + f(-a). Adding -f(a) to both sides yields that -f(a) = f(-a).

Sure. You've got it.

What is a continuity problem?

A continuity problem is a mathematical issue that arises when a function is not continuous at a specific point. It means that there is a break or discontinuity in the graph of the function at that point.

What does it mean for a function to be continuous at a point?

A function f is said to be continuous at a point a if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a exists and is equal to f(a). This means that there are no sudden jumps or holes in the graph of the function at that point.

What is the difference between a removable and non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity is a type of discontinuity where there is a hole in the graph of the function at a specific point, but the limit of the function as x approaches that point exists. This means that the discontinuity can be "removed" by redefining the function at that point. In contrast, a non-removable discontinuity is a point where the limit of the function does not exist and cannot be made continuous by redefining the function at that point.

What are some common techniques for solving continuity problems?

Some common techniques for solving continuity problems include using the definition of continuity, using the properties of continuous functions, and using the Intermediate Value Theorem. Other techniques may involve breaking the function into smaller, simpler pieces or using algebraic manipulations to simplify the function.

Why is continuity important in mathematics and science?

Continuity is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function. It also enables us to accurately model real-world phenomena and make precise calculations. In addition, continuity is a fundamental concept in calculus and is essential for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.