1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Continuity Problem

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) and f is continuous at 0. Show that f is continuous at a.

The attempt at a solution
    Since f is continuous at 0, for any e > 0 there is a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(0)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. Writing 0 as -a + a, |f(x) - f(0)| = |f(x) - f(-a) - f(a)|. By the Triangle Inequality, |f(x) - f(a)| - |f(-a)| ≤ |f(x) - f(-a) - f(a)| so |f(x) - f(a)| < e + |f(-a)|. This is as far as I've gotten. Am I proceeding the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First note that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) implies f(0)=0, because f(0)=f(0+0)=f(0)+f(0), hence f(0)=0.

So the statement of continuity at 0 reads, "for any e > 0 there is a d > 0 such that |f(x)| < e for all x with |x| < d".

This said, do you see more easily now why continuity at 0 implies continuity everywhere?

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3
    Nice tip. I think I got it now: Given an e > 0, I need to find a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(a)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. Using the Triangle Inequality, |f(x) - f(a)| ≤ |f(x)| + |f(a)| so it suffices to find a d such that |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e for all x with |x - a| < d. |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e is equivalent to |f(x)| < e - f(a). Since f is continuous at 0, there is definitely a d that will satisfy |f(x)| < e - f(a) for all x with |x - a| < d. Thus, f is continuous at a. This completes the proof. Right?

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noooo. If |f(x)-f(a)|<e and |f(x)-f(a)|<|f(x)|+|f(a)| does NOT IMPLY that |f(x)|+|f(a)|<e. At all. Not even a little. Just take quasar987's hint and replace x with x-a.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was trying to convey that |f(x)| + |f(a)| < e and |f(x) - f(a)| ≤ |f(x)| + |f(a)| implies that |f(x) - f(a)| < e.

I never thought of replacing x with x - a. That's a lot simpler than what I was trying to do.

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That implication is at least true, but it's not of much help proving the limit. Take an example of f(x)=x and say, a=3. The values of e you really care about are very close to zero. If x is close to 3, then |f(x)|+|f(a)| is around 6. Having |f(x)-f(a)|<6 is not going to be very useful as e gets small.

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7
    |f(x)|+|f(a)| can not be arbitrarily small except when |f(a)|=0 . Hence trying to prove "|f(x)| + |f(a)| < e" will fail unless you can show that f(a)=0 for any given a, but this is not the case

9. Jul 6, 2008 #8
    I understand now. Thanks guys.

10. Jul 6, 2008 #9
    Now that I've written things down, I'm noticing that replacing x with x - a is not enough for f(x - a) ≠ f(x) - f(a). Is there some way of proving that f(-a) = -f(a)?

11. Jul 6, 2008 #10
    Nevermind: 0 = f(0) = f(a - a) = f(a) + f(-a). Adding -f(a) to both sides yields that -f(a) = f(-a).

12. Jul 6, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You've got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?