A derivation in Peskin and Schroeder in chapter 18.

In summary, the conversation discusses the results obtained from inserting the leading-order expression (18.39) into (18.94) and the related equations (18.93) and (18.95). The result obtained is the familiar equation (18.95) for σ(e+e-→hadrons). The discussion also mentions an erratum regarding equation (18.94) and the correct form of the imaginary part of the natural logarithm for a negative number. Ultimately, the conversation raises the question of why α times the imaginary part of the logarithm is equal to π/α, which may have been covered earlier in the book.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
They write on page 618:
If we insert the leading-order expression (18.39) into (18.94), we obtain the familiar result:
$$(18.95)\sigma(e^+ e^- \to \text{hadrons})=\frac{4\pi \alpha^2}{s}\sum_f Q_f^2$$
where for those who don't have the book at hand, I'll write the related equations:

$$(18.94) \ \ \ \sigma(e^+ e^- \to \text{hadrons})=\frac{4\pi \alpha^2}{s} [ I am c^1(q^2)+Im c^{\bar{q}q}(q^2) \langle 0| m\bar{q}q|0\rangle+ $$
$$+Im c^{F^2}(q^2)\langle 0 | (F^a_{\alpha \beta})^2 | 0 \rangle + \ldots ] $$

$$(18.93) \ \ \ c^1(q^2)= - \bigg( 3\sum_f Q_f^2 \bigg) \cdot \frac{\alpha}{3\pi}\log (-q^2)$$

If I insert (18.93) into (18.94) I get:
$$\sigma = -\frac{4\alpha^3}{s}\sum_f Q_f^2 \cdot I am \log(-q^2)$$

If (18.95) is indeed deducible from (18.94) and (18.93) then ##\alpha \cdot I am (\log (-q^2)) =\pi/ \alpha##;
But why is that?

I must confess that I took hiatus from reading PS; so it might be covered before in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
As usual, PS is sloppy with the poles. It should read ##\ln(-q^2-\mathrm{i} 0^+)##. Then you correctly get (with the usual meaning of ##\ln## as being on the Riemann sheet, where the logarithm along the positive real axis is defined real and the cut along the negative real axis)
$$-\mathrm{Im} \ln(-q^2-\mathrm{i} 0^+)=+ \pi \Theta(p^2).$$

• Informative
Likes PAllen and mfb

1. What is a derivation in Peskin and Schroeder?

A derivation in Peskin and Schroeder refers to the mathematical process of obtaining a result or equation from a set of fundamental principles or assumptions. In chapter 18, the authors use this method to derive the Feynman rules for quantum field theory.

2. Why is a derivation important in physics?

A derivation is important in physics because it allows us to understand the underlying principles and relationships that govern a particular phenomenon or theory. It also provides a rigorous and systematic approach to solving problems and making predictions.

3. What are the steps involved in a derivation?

The steps involved in a derivation may vary depending on the specific problem or theory being studied. However, in general, a derivation involves identifying the relevant principles and assumptions, using mathematical techniques to manipulate and simplify equations, and arriving at a final result or equation.

4. How does a derivation relate to experimental data?

A derivation is often used to explain and interpret experimental data. By deriving equations or theories from fundamental principles, we can make predictions that can be tested and compared to experimental results. If the predictions match the data, it provides support for the validity of the derivation and the underlying principles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a derivation?

While derivations can provide valuable insights and understanding, they also have limitations. They are based on assumptions and simplifications, which may not always accurately reflect the real world. Additionally, derivations can be complex and time-consuming, and may not always lead to a complete understanding of a phenomenon.