Why does the voltage across R1 increase when the BJT is turned ON?

In summary: The voltage across R1 (the resistor in the voltage divider) increases by more than what you would expect with a BJT.
likephysics
I am trying to design a 3 Resistor voltage divider. The center resistor is shorted out using a transistor depending on the input voltage.
If Vin is <1, then center resistor is not shorted.
If Vin is >1 then center resistor is shorted by the BJT, so only the top and bottom resistor will act. (ignoring Vce sat).

But when I simulate, the voltage at the emitter increases when the BJT is turned ON.
I don't understand why.
In the attachment, Vin goes to the +Ve terminal of the buffer.

Attachments

• comp.png
    comp.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 438
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the transistor was not conducting, the current through the 100 ohm resistor would be
8 volts / (1K + 2K + 100 ohms ) or 2.58 mA.

If the transistor did conduct (and was perfect), the current through the 100 ohm resistor would be 8 volts / (1 K + 100 Ohms) or 7.3 mA.

So, the voltage across the 100 ohm resistor would increase to 0.73 volts from 0.258 volts.

Instead of the transistor, perhaps you could use a bilateral switch. It is just a thought and you may not even want to consider one. Any way this one (and there are many others) has the following description:

The NTE6403 is a silicon planer, monolithic integrated circuit having the electrical characteristics of a bilateral thyristor. This device is designed to switch at 8 volts with a 0.02%/°C temperature coefficient and excellently matched characteristics in both directions. A gate lead is provided to eliminate rate effect and to obtain triggering at lower voltages.

The NTE6403 is specifically designed and characterized for applications where stability of switching voltage over a wide temperature range and well matched bilateral characteristics are an asset. It is ideally suited for half wave and full wave triggering in low voltage SCR and TRIAC phase control circuits.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...w63ny&sig=AHIEtbQPDXDZ9Zcku--1UREu2yNJLg7PQQ"

Last edited by a moderator:
likephysics said:
But when I simulate, the voltage at the emitter increases when the BJT is turned ON.
I don't understand why.

As vk6kro already pointed out, even if the BJT behaved like an ideal switch in this circuit then you'd expect the voltage across R1 to increase (from .26 volts to .73 volts). I don't see how you could be expecting otherwise.

Now what I think you really meant to say was that the voltage across R1 increases by more than what you expected. That's what I would expect to happen with this circuit. The exact value will depend upon how well your software models the opamps current limit but I'd expect the voltage to rise to about 3 or 4 volts (instead of to the expected 0.73). Is that what happened?

Last edited:
uart said:
As vk6kro already pointed out, even if the BJT behaved like an ideal switch in this circuit then you'd expect the voltage across R1 to increase (from .26 volts to .73 volts). I don't see how you could be expecting otherwise.

Now what I think you really meant to say was that the voltage across R1 increases by more than what you expected. That's what I would expect to happen with this circuit. The exact value will depend upon how well your software models the opamps current limit but I'd expect the voltage to rise to about 3 or 4 volts (instead of to the expected 0.73). Is that what happened?
Yup, it increased by 3 to 4v.
Soon after posting, I realized, it was bcoz of the base voltage. The emitter( or R1) was only 0.7v less than the base voltage. Base voltage is nothing but op amp output voltage.

Thanks Vk6kro, dlgoff.
I think a switch is better than BJT.

1. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is an electrical circuit that divides a given input voltage into smaller output voltages. It consists of two or more resistors connected in series, and the output voltage is determined by the ratio of the resistors' values.

2. How does a different voltage divider differ from a regular voltage divider?

A different voltage divider is a type of voltage divider that uses non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors, in addition to resistors. This allows for a non-linear relationship between the input and output voltages, which can be useful in certain applications.

3. What are the applications of a different voltage divider?

A different voltage divider can be used in applications where a non-linear relationship between input and output voltages is desired, such as in audio circuits, power supplies, and sensor circuits. It can also be used in signal conditioning and filtering circuits.

4. How do I calculate the output voltage of a different voltage divider?

The output voltage of a different voltage divider can be calculated using the same formula as a regular voltage divider, which is Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)). However, the values of the resistors and non-linear components will need to be determined using their respective equations or datasheets.

5. What are the advantages of using a different voltage divider?

Compared to a regular voltage divider, a different voltage divider offers a non-linear relationship between input and output voltages, which can be useful in certain applications. It also allows for more precise control over the output voltage and can be used to create more complex circuits with multiple output voltages.