A diode with a resistor in parallel and in series.

In summary, the conversation discusses a diode with a resistor in parallel (R2) and a resistor in series (R1). The values of the circuit are Vs = 20v, R1 = 3kΩ, R2 = 470Ω, and the diode has a voltage drop of 2v. The formula Vo-Vd/Rl = I for a diode in series in a resistor is mentioned, but it is unclear how it relates to the circuit with a diode and resistor in parallel. The conversation also mentions the use of 18v and the resistance in the remainder of the circuit to calculate the current. It is clarified that the voltage drop is not the same as the voltage shown across
Trespaser5
I have a diode with a resistor in parallel(R2), but also diode resistor circuit has a resistor in series with it(R1). I have uploaded a drawing as well but I think it takes a bit of time for them to be authorised.
The values of the circuit are
Vs = 20v
R1 = 3kΩ
R2 = 470Ω
Diode = Has a Volt drop of 2v

I've found the formula Vo-Vd/Rl = I for a diode in series in a resistor but am not sure how this relates if the diode also has resistor in parallel with it. I'm guessing from what I've read that the diode does not have a resistance as such but only 'consumes' 2v, so can I use 18v along with the resistance in the remainder of the circuit to calculate It ? Or am I heading down the wrong path entirely. This is my second night on this question so could really do with some help. Thankyou

Attachments

• diode.doc
    28 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
My .doc viewer isn't working, but I think I can see the circuit. That would be a zener diode, and, yes, it leaves 18V across R1.

Knowing the voltage across R2, you can calculate the current through R2.

Thank you so much. I think I was mis understanding that the voltage drop stated was the same as the voltage shown across, when that twigged today I got it, what a feeling :) Thank you for your help and time :)

What is a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series?

A diode with a resistor in parallel and in series is a circuit configuration where a diode and a resistor are connected in both parallel and series with each other.

What is the purpose of a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series?

The purpose of a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series is to control the flow of current in a circuit by limiting the voltage and current passing through the circuit.

How does a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series work?

In this configuration, the resistor limits the current passing through the circuit while the diode allows current to flow in only one direction. This allows for a more precise control of current flow in the circuit.

What are the advantages of using a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series?

One advantage is that it can protect other components in the circuit from excessive current and voltage. It also allows for a more efficient use of electricity as the resistor controls the current flow.

Are there any drawbacks to using a diode with a resistor in parallel and in series?

One drawback is that it can cause a voltage drop in the circuit, reducing the overall output. It may also add complexity to the circuit design.