A few questions about water pressure, temp, and sound

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with three different problems. The first problem involves finding the wavelength of sound waves emitted by a source moving away from a listener. The second problem involves estimating the time it will take to heat a cup of soup using an immersion heater. The third problem involves finding the amount of ice in a bucket of ice and water when a block of copper is dropped into it. The person is seeking help with the third problem and is unsure how to handle the mixture of ice and water.
Scirel
OK.

I have done most of them correctly on my own, I need 2 checked and help with one:

Check:

A sound source emits sounds of frequency 210 Hz that travel through still air at 340 m/s. The source moves away from the stationary listener at 80 m/s. Find the wavelength of the sound waves between the source and the listener.

I got Wavelength =2m

A small immersion heater is rated at 380 Watts. Estimate how long it will take to heat a cup of soup (assume this is 240g of water) from 23oC to 56oC

I got t=87.2451s

Now I need help with this one:

A 3.8 kg block of copper at a temperature of 79oC is dropped into a bucket containing a mixture of ice and water whose total mass is 1.2 kg. When thermal equilibrium is reached the temperature of the water is 8°C. How much ice was in the bucket before the copper block was placed in it?
(Neglect the heat capacity of the bucket.)

I know heat gained=heat lost, so:

3.8*(79-8)*387(heat capacity of copper) = ?

I don`t know how to treat the mixture of ice and water. can someone please help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please! I truly need help before 10:00!

Sure, I can help you with this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, let's calculate the heat lost by the copper block as it cools down from 79°C to 8°C. We can use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of the copper block, c is the specific heat capacity of copper, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

So, Q = (3.8 kg)(387 J/kg°C)(79°C-8°C) = 106,666.8 J

Next, we need to calculate the heat gained by the ice and water as they warm up from 0°C to 8°C. Since we know that the final temperature of the mixture is 8°C, we can use the formula Q = mcΔT again, but this time we need to use the specific heat capacity of water. The total mass of the ice and water is 1.2 kg, so:

Q = (1.2 kg)(4186 J/kg°C)(8°C-0°C) = 40,224 J

Now, since we know that heat gained = heat lost, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for the mass of ice in the bucket.

106,666.8 J = 40,224 J + (m)(334 J/kg°C)(8°C-0°C)

Solving for m, we get m = 0.36 kg of ice.

Therefore, there was 0.36 kg of ice in the bucket before the copper block was placed in it. I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further clarification.

What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on the walls of its container. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) and can vary depending on the depth and density of the water.

How does water temperature affect pressure?

As water temperature increases, its molecules become more energetic and spread out, causing an increase in pressure. Conversely, as water temperature decreases, its molecules become less energetic and closer together, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

What is the relationship between water pressure and depth?

The deeper you go in a body of water, the greater the water pressure becomes. This is because the weight of the water above exerts more force on the water below it, resulting in higher pressure.

How does sound travel through water?

Sound travels through water in the form of pressure waves, created by vibrating objects. These waves move through the water at a speed of about 1,500 meters per second, much faster than they would in air.

Can water pressure affect sound?

Yes, water pressure can affect the speed of sound through water. As water pressure increases, sound travels faster due to the increased density of the water. This is why sound travels faster in the ocean than it does in air.