A few questions before my midterm on Friday

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to prove that ∫e-x2dx = √π / 2, explains the concept of uniform convergence on a given interval, and addresses a potential discrepancy in the use of Dirichlet's Test. The conversation also introduces a unique method for proving that ∫e-x2dx = √π / 2 using the Bohr-Mollerup theorem.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

1) What is a cool way to prove that ∫e-x2dx = √π / 2 ?

2) What does it mean if ∫f(x,t)dt converges uniformly on the interval a ≤ x ≤b? Does it basically mean that it'll converge for all x in that interval? Explain this to me as if I were an 8-year-old girl.

3) My book uses a variation of Dirichlet's Test to show that ∫sin(x) / x is convergent (bounds: 0, ∞). But if we use ø(x) = 1/x, like the book does, then isn't ø'(x) = -1/x2 not continuous? The book doesn't say anything about this.

Homework Equations

(none)

The Attempt at a Solution

(none)

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The only way I know is the usual way, by computing the square of the integral, and converting to polar co-ordinates.
2) Hmm, what are you varying? shoud there be and f_n around somewhere?

3) Because 1/x^2 is continuous on the OPEN inteval (0,infinity), it is only discontinuous at x=0

1) The coolest way I've ever seen is in Rudin's "Principles":
We use Bohr-Mollerup theorem to show that
[tex]\int_0 ^1 t^{x-1}(1-t)^{y-1}\,dt=\frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)}{\Gamma(x+y)}[/tex]
Substitute [tex]t=\sin^2 \theta[/tex], plugging [tex]x=y=1/2[/tex] gives [tex]\Gamma(1/2)=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], which means that
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} t^{-1/2}e^{-t}\, dt =\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]
Substitute [tex]t=s^2[/tex]:
[tex]2\int_0^{\infty}e^{-s^2}\,ds = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

But how do you show that [tex]\Gamma (1/2)=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]?

i'm guessing if you follow through the integration you end up with pi?
[tex]
\int_0 ^1 t^{-1/2}(1-t)^{-1/2}\,dt=\frac{\Gamma(1/2)^2}{\Gamma(1)}
[/tex]

The only way that I know of showing that the integral is pi, is the one that everyone gets taught by squaring the integral, turning it into a double integral, transforming to polar co-ordinates and then solving the integral.

Well, if you substitute [tex]t=\sin^2 \theta[/tex], you end up with
[tex]2\int_0^{\pi / 2}\sin^{2x-1}\theta\cos^{2y-1}\theta\,d\theta[/tex]
Letting [tex]x=y=1/2[/tex] we get
[tex]2\int_0^{\pi/2}d\theta=\pi[/tex]

Okay, this is a new way I have learned today. Thanks.

hunt_mat said:
3) Because 1/x^2 is continuous on the OPEN inteval (0,infinity), it is only discontinuous at x=0

But in the book's description of the Dirichlet's Test, if you have ∫f(x)ø(x)dx, then one of the conditions is that "ø'(x) is continuous." That's all it says.

I suspect that it means that they are supposed to be continuous on the range of trhe integral. Which is what you have.

hunt_mat said:
I suspect that it means that they are supposed to be continuous on the range of trhe integral. Which is what you have.

The integral goes from 0 to infiniti, and ø'(t) is not continuous at x = 0.

True but the integral over (0,1) is the same as the integral over [0,1].

1. What topics should I focus on for the midterm?

For this midterm, it is important to review all the material that has been covered in class so far. This includes key concepts, theories, and any important examples or case studies that have been discussed. Be sure to also review any study guides or notes provided by your professor.

2. Will the midterm be multiple choice or short answer?

This depends on your professor's preferred format for exams. It is best to check with them directly or review any previous exams to get an idea of the format. Regardless, it is important to understand the material thoroughly in order to do well on any type of exam.

3. How should I study for the midterm?

Everyone has different study methods that work best for them, but some general tips include creating a study schedule, taking practice quizzes or exams, reviewing notes and study guides, and actively engaging with the material by summarizing key points or teaching the material to someone else.

4. Will the midterm cover material from the textbook?

It is likely that the midterm will cover material from the textbook, as well as material covered in class. Be sure to review any assigned readings and take notes on important concepts or examples.

5. Can I use a calculator or notes during the midterm?

Again, this will depend on your professor's policies. Some exams may allow for the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is best to clarify with your professor beforehand and make sure to follow any guidelines given during the exam.