GRE Test: All You Need to Know About It

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre Test
In summary, the GRE is an exam taken for admission to graduate programs. There is another test called the "qualifier" that is taken in some doctorate programs to determine who will receive an advisor and research assistant positions. The rules and questions for this test vary among schools and it is usually created by the professors.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
What exactly is the GRE and when do you take it and what is it for?
Also, i know there's a test you take in doctorate program that advisors look at to determine who they want to 'take under their wing'. What is this test called? Thanks for the info.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.gre.org/

Never heard of the other exam you're referring to, if it's not the GRE.

I don't know but the physics department chair at my university said that I have to take a test when/if i go to Berkeley. He said its best to do the masters program at the university I am at right now and then apply to the berkeley grad program because there's a test i have to take and he said that as someones with a masters, ill be far more prepared then the people who just received their BS. He said that the professors don't know the students so they don't really know who they want to advise and they only have this test score to go off of so if i do well on it because of my extra experience, I am more likely to get an advisor and RA's

The second test you refer to is the 'qualifier.' The rules and questions are different at every school; it's usually made up by the professors themselves.

- Warren

Ha yes, that's it! or well, at least 'qualifier' sounds familiar

1. What is the GRE test?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for admissions into graduate programs in various universities around the world. It assesses a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. What is the format of the GRE test?

The GRE test consists of three sections: verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. The verbal and quantitative reasoning sections each have two subsections, and the analytical writing section has two essay tasks.

3. How long is the GRE test?

The total testing time for the GRE is 3 hours and 45 minutes. The verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections each have a time limit of 60 minutes, and the analytical writing section has a time limit of 60 minutes as well. There are also breaks in between sections.

4. What is a good score on the GRE test?

The scoring for the GRE test varies for each section. The verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections are scored on a scale of 130-170, while the analytical writing section is scored on a scale of 0-6. A good score on the GRE is typically considered to be in the 75th percentile or above.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE test?

There are various resources available for preparing for the GRE test, such as study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the test format and practice time management. Additionally, developing strong critical thinking and analytical skills can also improve your performance on the GRE test.