1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few questions

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What exactly is the GRE and when do you take it and what is it for?
    Also, i know theres a test you take in doctorate program that advisors look at to determine who they want to 'take under their wing'. What is this test called? Thanks for the info.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2
    http://www.gre.org/

Never heard of the other exam you're referring to, if it's not the GRE.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I dunno but the physics department chair at my university said that I have to take a test when/if i go to Berkeley. He said its best to do the masters program at the university im at right now and then apply to the berkeley grad program because theres a test i have to take and he said that as someones with a masters, ill be far more prepared then the people who just recieved their BS. He said that the professors dont know the students so they dont really know who they want to advise and they only have this test score to go off of so if i do well on it because of my extra experience, im more likely to get an advisor and RA's

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The second test you refer to is the 'qualifier.' The rules and questions are different at every school; it's usually made up by the professors themselves.

- Warren

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ha yes, thats it! or well, at least 'qualifier' sounds familiar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?