Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A flying skateboard possible?

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    I was just wondering if a flying skateboard would be possible to make in this time and day. I don't mean a hover board which uses anti-gravity mechanic, but a flying skateboard which uses a turbojet engine.

I really want to make one, but I am not sure if it is even possible in the first place. Can I have some feedback on this. I know it sound ridiculous though.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

how would you use it?

If on the ground, you'd have to worry about safety, stability, aerodynamics...

For safety what if you fell off would it keep going? not good if it did.

For stability, how would you stay attached? how would you stay upright?

For aerodynamics, you'd need some sort of wings, including a tail wing.

Then there the size of all this which means it wont look anything like the Back To The Future one.

Have you seen the guy who uses a jetpack to jump off of mountains and glide to the valley?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Rossy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Adding on to what jedishrfu said, drag would also be a huge issue if you were "riding" it similarly to how one rides a skateboard. I think the best bet for a sort of human aircraft is the torso/back-mounted wings as it's the most centralized/stable/controllable way to mount equipment on a person, as well as minimize drag.

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4
    The lift?

okay about the safety, stability and stuff but how can one create the necessay lift while using it on the ground?!?!?

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to stick with more practical things, like a flying carpet.

7. Nov 29, 2013 #6
    And replying to threads that haven't been dead for more than a year.
    :tongue: (:devil:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook