What is the probability of John being guilty given a positive DNA match?

In summary: If not, I can provide a brief explanation.Bayes' theorem states that the probability of something given another thing is a function of the two things, weighted according to how likely they are. In this case, the probability of guilt given a match is a function of the match probability (1/100,000) and the probability of innocence (1). The probability of guilt is then given by: p(G|M) = w(M|G) * p(G)
fhjop1
John has been accused of murder and the police have found DNA
evidence at the scene. The probability of a DNA match given that a person is
innocent is 1/100,000. The probability of a DNA match given that a person is
guilty is 1. John lives in a city where there are 100,000 people who could have
committed the crime. Unfortunately, the outcome of the DNA match to John has
been positive. What is the probability of John being guilty given the outcome of
the DNA test?

I don't understand that if the probability that a DNA matched given a person guity is 1, how come he/she can be innocent, why the 1/100000 can still happen. And does anybody think 'the 100000 people in John's city' this condition is useless? anyway, I think the answer is 99999/100000, cause ignore whether John is guilty, he still have 1/100000 probability can be innocent, is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem says that if a person is guilty, then there will be a guaranteed DNA match (because the probability is 1).
It does not say that if there is a DNA match, then the person is guilty! You seem to assume this. It can very well happen that a person is innocent and still gets a DNA match.

For example, it is true that if I fall then I will hurt myself. But it is not necessarily true that if I hurt myself, that I must have fallen. There are other ways to hurt myself.

fhjop1 said:
been positive. What is the probability of John being guilty given the outcome of
the DNA test?

I don't understand that if the probability that a DNA matched given a person guity is 1, how come he/she can be innocent, why the 1/100000 can still happen. And does anybody think 'the 100000 people in John's city' this condition is useless? anyway, I think the answer is 99999/100000, cause ignore whether John is guilty, he still have 1/100000 probability can be innocent, is it right?

Some innocent people may match the DNA profile, because the city has 100,000 people and the chance that any random innocent person matches the profile is 1/100,000. The number of innocent matches is a Poisson random variable with mean 1.

RGV

fhjop1 said:
the DNA test?

Let G mean guilty, and M mean DNA match. (The complementary outcomes are NG, not guilty and NM, non-match).

You're given that the probability of a match given guilt is 1, i.e. [itex]p(M|G) = 1[/itex]

You're asked to find the probability of guilt given a match, i.e. [itex]p(G|M)[/itex]. This is NOT, in general the same as the above.

This question can be solved using Bayes' theorem. Do you know it?

Last edited:

1. How does DNA matching work?

DNA matching involves comparing the unique sequences of nucleotides in an individual's DNA to determine if they share a common genetic profile with another individual. This is done by analyzing specific regions of the DNA, called genetic markers, and looking for similarities.

2. Can DNA matching be used to determine familial relationships?

Yes, DNA matching can be used to determine familial relationships, such as parent-child or sibling relationships. This is because relatives share a certain percentage of their DNA, and this can be detected through DNA matching.

3. How accurate is DNA matching?

DNA matching is highly accurate, with a very low error rate. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the quality of the DNA sample and the methods used for analysis. Generally, the more markers that are compared, the more accurate the results will be.

4. Can DNA matching be used for identification purposes?

Yes, DNA matching is commonly used for identification purposes, such as in criminal investigations or identifying victims of natural disasters or mass tragedies. This is because DNA is unique to each individual and can be used as a reliable form of identification.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding DNA matching?

Yes, there are some ethical concerns surrounding DNA matching, particularly in regards to privacy and consent. DNA contains sensitive genetic information that some individuals may not want to be shared or used for certain purposes. It is important for proper consent and guidelines to be in place when using DNA matching for any purpose.