A good book for astrophysics&astronomy

• Thread starter plasmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book that can guide someone in learning astrophysics and mentions "Fundamentals of Astronomy" by Carroll and Ostlie as a comprehensive resource. The book covers a wide range of topics in astrophysics and includes exercises and examples, though it may not specifically mention exoplanets.
plasmon
I am a researcher and wish to learn astrophysics(research in dark matter). I have never studied astrophysics or astronomy. I am in search for a book that can guide me

(1)How do astronomers predict masses of stars, galaxies and planets, their positions and relative velocities?

(2) Also exercises and examples?

Kindly provide me names, which can guide me on this.

I am already studying a book "Fundamentals of Astronomy".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Carroll and Ostlie, "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics", tries to cover basically everything in astrophysics and does a pretty darn good job of it in my opinion.

carroll and ostlie does your #1 and your #2

while I'm not exactly sure about planets, it does have a chunk of the book devoted to the planets of the solar system. We've never gone through it, though.

I forget if it specifically mentions exoplanets as well.

Thanks, looks good to me.

As a fellow researcher in astrophysics, I would recommend the book "Introduction to Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie. This book covers the fundamental concepts of astrophysics and provides a comprehensive overview of topics such as dark matter, star formation, and galaxy evolution. It also includes exercises and examples to help you apply these concepts and deepen your understanding.

To answer your first question, astronomers use a variety of techniques to predict masses, positions, and velocities of celestial objects. For example, they can measure the orbital motion of stars in a binary system to determine their masses, use gravitational lensing to estimate the mass of a galaxy cluster, or analyze the spectra of stars to determine their chemical composition and evolutionary stage.

In addition to "Introduction to Astrophysics," I would also recommend "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. This book provides a more accessible and engaging introduction to astrophysics, and includes thought-provoking exercises and examples to help you think critically about the concepts.

I hope these recommendations help guide you in your research on dark matter and astrophysics. Keep exploring and learning, and best of luck in your studies!

1. What are the most recommended books for learning about astrophysics and astronomy?

Some popular books for learning about astrophysics and astronomy include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books provide a good introduction to the subject and are written in an accessible and engaging manner.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in astrophysics and astronomy?

Yes, there are many books that are specifically written for beginners in astrophysics and astronomy. Some examples include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and "The Cosmic Perspective" by Jeffrey Bennett. These books use simple language and concepts to introduce readers to the fascinating world of astrophysics and astronomy.

3. Are there any books that cover both astrophysics and astronomy?

Yes, there are several books that cover both astrophysics and astronomy. Some popular options include "Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction" by James Binney and "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie. These books provide a comprehensive overview of both fields and are suitable for those with a basic understanding of science and mathematics.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math and science to understand books on astrophysics and astronomy?

While having a strong background in math and science can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to understand books on astrophysics and astronomy. Many books are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience and do not require advanced knowledge in these subjects. However, a basic understanding of concepts such as algebra and physics can aid in comprehension.

5. Are there any books that provide a deeper dive into specific topics within astrophysics and astronomy?

Yes, there are many books that provide a deeper dive into specific topics within astrophysics and astronomy. Some examples include "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, which explores the concept of black holes, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, which delves into the mysteries of space and time. These books are suitable for readers who already have a basic understanding of astrophysics and astronomy and are looking to expand their knowledge on a specific subject.